Projector recommendation... up to £1500

Soldato
Absolute max budget of £1500, and that's pushing it tbh. Would want to be pretty special for that. Would like quiet (as possible), with good black levels and a decent input lag. I was initially looking at the BenQ W1210ST and W2000, but both seem to suffer with blacks that aren't great, while the W3000 is an improvement but with some noise issues (as THIS video highlights) and a high input lag.

I have heard good things about Epson and Optoma but don't know what models would be best. Open to suggestions. Max screen size I can fit is about 100", if that's relevant, and will be a fixed screen. I'd also ideally have the projector on the ceiling. :)

Last edited:
Associate
At that price point it's worth saving a bit more and getting a Sony. Easily the best at the 1.5k-2.5k price point.

Soldato
OP
I have the Benq W1400, it is an amazing HD projector for the money

https://www.avforums.com/review/benq-w1400-3d-dlp-projector-review.10238

I had seen that one but ruled it out due to black levels not being so great (not much better than cheaper models from what I've seen), and reports of visible rainbow effect which seems to afflict any DLP projector. That Epson I linked is 3LCD, so none of that to worry about, but having never owned a projector before I really don't have any reference, so I'm quite sure whatever I get I would be happy with. The wireless function of that TW6700W model really has me intrigued though, as that would save A LOT of hassle running cables through my ceiling. I don't know if there are any drawbacks though... I can't find any reviews/user feedback speaking to its day to day function, reliability etc.

Soldato
OP
not sure why this list is being completely ignored. it's the best buy as in nothing is better within the set price ranges.

The problem is the W3000 is not THAT great, as it was top of my list for a while but I've since ruled it out. I've read many reports of noisy fans (evidenced by YouTube vids) and rainbow effect, and black levels which aren't that great, not to mention unacceptably high input lag which BenQ have confirmed to me is at 79ms. They have other cheaper projectors which are actually far better gaming options than the W3000, but black levels are worse still. By all accounts that I've read, the Epson TW6700 is a better projector and around the same price.

I can't stretch to £2K, or even near, so that Sony is out unfortunately.

The Epson on that list looks very good and peaked my interest, but again is too costly... it did lead me to discover some of their other cheaper 3LCD projectors though, which while not offering HDR or 4K (not that I really need that tbh), do seem to offer excellent performance in respect to black levels etc.

Soldato
OP
why do you care about input lagg?

if it's for gaming then do yourself a favour and buy a tv or monitor. people buy projectors for media viewing not gaming

I don't care about it ONLY for gaming, but all else being equal, it doesn't seem to make much sense opting for one which has a restrictively high input lag, unless it was an amazing deal perhaps. I care more about overall media viewing in respect to black levels, rainbow effect from DLP projectors (some are worse than others) and noise from the fans.

Soldato
OP
Input lag males zero difference to picture quality. So I don't see the point in putting so many restrictions when your on a budget

I know, and picture quality is my focus... which is why I am reticent about going for a model which has many professional reviews and user feedback saying it is noisy with average black levels (AND high input lag)... especially when there are better options for around the same price.

Currently, from my research, the Epson range seems to beat the BenQ options hands down at the same price point.

Associate
This is the problem, with opinions, everyone's is likely different, depending on their own requirements.

I prefer DLP over LCD, and have no issue with Black levels on the Benq, but then I only use it at night in the garden. Personally when I research Benq at £1000 to £1500 came out tops.

I viewed several setup in a showroom and for my requirements, the Benq was the best in this price bracket, and anything more expensive was diminishing returns.

Lag makes zero difference. My daughter uses it for the Wii with her friends, makes zero difference.

Martin

Caporegime
lag does make a difference but only to gaming. so i'd say that isn't quite right. in terms of normal viewing. tv shows and movies then yes it makes zero difference.

i certainly notice lag when i don't put my plasma into game mode for instance.

Soldato
OP
The difference can be massive in some cases... a review I read of the Sony HW45ES (as recommended in that AV Forums list), states the input lag is over 100ms in normal mode, but when put in to gaming mode it drops to the 20's, so that's HUGE. It's good to have that option, rather than be stuck on a very high figure as some models are. As I say, all things being equal, while picture quality is definitely my paramount concern, I would at least want the option for respectable input lag to make it a viable gaming option when that need arises.

Soldato
OP
I would get the most recent entry level 2nd hand JVC you can, X550/X5000/X500 (Yes it really is that confusing).

The X500 seems to be cheapest second hand but is still nearly twice my budget, and has an input lag of 125ms according to reviews.

Agreed. Gaming on projectors is ******* epic. Other than VR, nothing beats them for immersion. If buying now and if the ~30ms input lag reports i've read are true, i'd go for this:

https://www.avforums.com/review/epson-eh-tw9300-projector-review.13460

Again, out of my budget unfortunately. As mentioned above, I have my eye on the Epson TW6700(W) which seems to be very good, and I could stretch to the wireless version of that.

Associate
Just some advice: don't spend your entire budget on the projector, I would say the screen you project onto is equally important in the end image.
I built my own projector screen and even though my projector is a £500 budget projector, the quality of the picture from it really is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom