Protecting SEO

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I asked something similar before, but looking for a bit of advice again.

One site we are revamping is currently in Drupal and moving to a completely redesigned site in Wordpress. What things should I look for when I move over to protect our SEO?

Things that I've already considered:
  • 300 Redirects
  • Uniformed URL's

Anything else?

Thanks =)

Things that I've already considered:
  • 300 Redirects
  • Uniformed URL's

Both of these make no sense...

I assume you mean 301 redirects but what are "Uniformed URLs"?

The most important aspect is getting your redirects in place for your old URLs (that's your 301 redirects) everything else kind of solves itself over time if you get this right. To speed things up however:

Make sure you get a good 404 page up that helps the user if they still manage to find a dead link.

Also make sure you update all your own internal links. Like links that say "why not contact us to find out more about this product".

Using your analytics find out where most of your incoming links are coming from and try and contact them about updating their links to you.

Make sure you update your sitemap and get it submitted via the various search engine providers and use their tools to register your site with them.

Another good idea is to use Google Webmaster tools to help you identify any errors with your website after the move.

That should be a good start. Anything more than that and I personally think you're getting into diminishing returns with regards to the effort invested - suppose it depends on how drastic the move/change is though.

EDIT: Oh, actually, after the move make sure you're monitoring your 404/301 hits. Both in terms of the pages that are getting hit so you can add the 301 redirect (if required) and who is still linking to the old page to tell them to update it.

Back
Top Bottom