Protein shake / diet advice

Associate
Hey,

Started going to the gym about three months back now, and have seen some gains, and am really enjoying it. Basically, my aim is to have a decent physique, and put on roughly another stone or so by next christmas (am going travelling Jan 2010, so have until then to get in shape :p ). I'm roughly 5'11, and about 74Kg, and whilst i don't know my BMI (?), I don't have much fat on me.

Now... I've read the sticky / guide, and have tried to sort out my diet, but there are times it just isn't possible. I've definately started to eat more, and more often, but need some help - current diet is like this;

Breakfast; 2/4 slices of brown toast, banana, other random fruit
Mid morning; couple bits of fruit/nuts
Lunch; sandwiches (chicken et al). According to the pack, each lunch is 60g protein, and about 70g carbs (don't know if this helps, and don't know if i should be looking at any of the other values)
When i get in from work; Tin of tuna & pasta / omlette / scrambled eggs on toast (2 eggs in either) something smallish along these lines
Dinner; Stir Fry / one of the 'back from work' options that i haven't already had that day, steak and chips, etc - whatever's available

Now I know lots of things could be improved (chips etc) but i don't think i'm doing too bad. The breakfast i guess is my main issue - i just don't have time to cook eggs or anything like that, and am always starving mid-morning.

Now... like i say, i want to put on at least a stone, say go up to maybe 80 Kg - should i use protein shakes? Would it be worthwhile to have one with breakfast and after workouts (sorry forgot to mention earlier - go to the gym tues/thurs/sun, usually after the 'get back from work' dinner)?

And advice appreciated

Probably didn't make it clear enough in the first post, but i do go to the gym - 3 times a week for about an hour, which seemed to be the recommended amount in the sticky's. Also, everything I read here was against any form of cardio when trying to bulk.

But anyway, it's the protein shakes i need the advice on :)

Appreciate the replies, but what I'm asking (should've kept it simple, sorry), is;

a) is it a normal thing for people to have a shake with breakfast?
b) if i use protein shakes throughout the year, and then go traveling (whilst traveling i won't be doing any gym / shakes obviously), will i just lose everything i gain (and I suppose this would happen whether i use shakes or not?)
c) could someone link me correct powder to buy (http://www.myprotein.co.uk/ is the correct site i believe?), with the promotional code / price matcher thing please?

Thanks in advance X

Thanks for the replies. Again, to reiterate, I am going to the gym three times a week.

Protein WILL NOT build muscle or encorage it to grow! When not working out just eat healthfully and keep active. Cardio IMO is vital. Have a look at a runner... long distance very skinny - sprinter musclely! High intensity cardio (ie 20 mins) will help with muscle growth. If you dont do cardio you will look unhealthy! Better to look a tiny bit skinnier and healthy.

a) You can have a protein shake for breakfast - people will have one then if they did a workout the night before.

b) If you dont do any workout in 3 weeks you go into regression... to maitain a weight workout 3 times a week to progress 4 times a week. If you not working out dont add extra protein as it will just turn into fat.

Firstly, the gym 3 / 4 times a week comment goes against what I read in the sticky (and that seems to be taken as gospel in here) - 90% of people in there were asking to be specced a 3-day split.

The protein shake comment... again, goes against everything I read here. Like i say, I've got a year to work at it, so I expect to gain some fat if i'm 'bulking' anyway.

Thanks drunk / wardie.

Would someone be able to link the cheapest way to buy some powder? I know there's a promotional code I can use, and also some price-matcher thing? (myprotein.com)

Back
Top Bottom