ps3 phat ylod question

Soldato
Hi

My old phat PS3 ylod on me just over a year ago since then I have got myself the slim model.

I would like to ask you guys whats the best option to get rid of it is, as I have had it stored away in the loft.

The problem is as it ylod on me I could not deactivate my account on the console so it will have some of my stuff still on the hdd.

Is it a case of throwing the thing or can I sell it?

thanks

Soldato
You could connect the HDD to a PC or insert it into your current PS3 to format it.

Or try the heatgun fix. Mine did the YLoD to me recently so I'm praying I can get it running long enough to get my data off it.

Associate
on the main SOE website you an sign into your psn account and deactivate all 5 then re-enable it on your current console.
just a heads up that you can only do this once every 6 month.

Associate
You could connect the HDD to a PC or insert it into your current PS3 to format it.

Or try the heatgun fix. Mine did the YLoD to me recently so I'm praying I can get it running long enough to get my data off it.

Hi, mine did this last week, did the heatgun fix and is now fine, currently backing it up as we speak. Has been fine for the past few days.

Associate
Heat gun fix worked for me for a few weeks then it reverted back to YLOD. I think I must have done it 3 or 4 times over the course of 6 months or so, then I got frustrated and just bought a new one :)

Soldato
Heat gun and use it as a media center pc or if your despicable sell it asap.

I used to work for a company that repairs PS3 by re-flowing the chips using professional laser re-flowing equipment, we used to reflow chips on computer mainboard etc; and that used to be fine.

But the return rate on PS3 YLOD was extremely high the company stopped doing it after I left.

Watching movies should generate much heat and it should be fine, as I gave my brother one over two years ago and that's still working. :)

Soldato
OP
hi again

I have removed the hdd , would there be any other personal data left on the ps3 like internet based login history and ps3 account info or is everything stored on the hardrive?

Just want to be sure the PS3 is completely wiped of any personal information if I remove the hdd?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom