Ps4 Pro very loud

Don
Could just be full of dust, so ideally you would use a can of compressed air (or one of the many tools now available) to blow the dust out.

if it's no better once you've done this, then it could be that the thermal paste needs replacing - but unless you're confident at dismantling such devices, then it's probably better to leave well alone.

There are also apparently two (or more) different types of Fan fitted to the PS4/PS4 Pro - some makes being noisier than others - but again, swapping them out is a bit of an involved process.

Soldato
I did a full thermal paste, thermal pad, deep clean, improve airflow overhaul on mine and although it never felt hot, the fans still went off like mad. I ended up deciding it had a dodgy sensor and gave it to a family member. :D

Associate
OP
Could just be full of dust, so ideally you would use a can of compressed air (or one of the many tools now available) to blow the dust out.

if it's no better once you've done this, then it could be that the thermal paste needs replacing - but unless you're confident at dismantling such devices, then it's probably better to leave well alone.

There are also apparently two (or more) different types of Fan fitted to the PS4/PS4 Pro - some makes being noisier than others - but again, swapping them out is a bit of an involved process.
Thx for advice m8 i will try can of compressed air first.

Soldato
Bro in law used to moan probably 2 yrs ago now his PS4 Pro was the same, it turned into a jet engine whilst gaming, and was still quite loud just on the menu screen.

We tried compressed air but didn't seem to help him, it may help you however.

In the end, the best fix I read online was new thermal paste (Arctic MX-4 barely £5) + get a Nidec fan to replace the stock one (£20-25 on Ebay). Did this for him and now it's whisper quiet and worked like a dream since.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
OP
Bro in law used to moan probably 2 yrs ago now his PS4 Pro was the same, it turned into a jet engine whilst gaming, and was still quite loud just on the menu screen.

We tried compressed air but didn't seem to help him, it may help you however.

In the end, the best fix I read online was new thermal paste (Arctic MX-4 barely £5) + get a Nidec fan to replace the stock one (£20-25 on Ebay). Did this for him and now it's whisper quiet and worked like a dream since.
Ok thank you for that and how difficult is this process?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not difficult at all, if you can use a screwdriver it's very basic DIY. Took me about 20 minutes to disassemble - replace the thermal paste and fan - put back together.

Have a look on YouTube there are quite a few videos on the process, here's a good one... (see around the 5:18 mark he removes fan, so you'd just replace it of course)

Soldato
You can do all the above but PS4 or PS4 Pro just aren't quite machines, I loved both mine but they were noisey from new.

I'd cleaned em both, opened them up etc just noisey

Associate
Mine started getting louder recently but I don't want to break the seal on it as it's a million edition blue version
It must be the age of the thermal paste as it has only had about 24hrs use since new.

Soldato
Mine was stupidly loud i could hear it from 6 foot away with headphones on, i was also starting to get it stuttering when playing particularly performance intensive games such as Days Gone, RDR2 and God of War. Stripped it down, noticed that even after blowing with compressed air the heatsink was clogged with fluff. Blasting it from the front traps it against the heatsink and if you blast from the back it has nowhere to go out the front. I cleaned it out really well with a cheapo paintbrush and changed my thermal compound for some Noctua stuff i have lying about and it worked really well with no issues or jet noise until i got the PS5.

Associate
My PS4 pro was loud, especially god of war for example, I was playing Until Dawn and could not hear what the characters were saying so had to put the subtitles on.
Can confirm PS5 is much quieter, unless you get one with bad coil whine like mine, then you sell it and buy a PS4 slim !

My xbox one x has got super loud recently, tempted to redo the thermal paste, its a launch one and been hammered.

Back
Top Bottom