PSA Warning: Asus Z690 Formula VRM block corroded

Soldato
This is now in the media after several owners encountered this. The VRM block on this motherboard uses coated aluminium and a number of users have now reported corrosion and gunk in the block and their loop

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Why do this on a board that they charge a small fortune for? It's nothing but penny pinching!! As for EK's involvement, that's just another example of how poorly they think of their customers. Why else would they cheap out and use aluminium instead of doing it properly with copper. Even if Asus specified aluminium EK should have spoken up and warned them that this would happen. They would know that the majority of water cooling loops will have copper components in them and that this would be the result. Mixing metals is basic knowledge in what not to do when building a loop.

Associate
I'm waiting for ther V3000 in white so I only set up my Z690 formula loop in a temporary setup last week. Took the VRM block out of the loop today.
Sucks though because I built a PC for a friend using this motherboard who has no idea about water cooling, so now I'll have to redo the CPU section of his loop to avoid the VRM block. Or just wait for the replacement and hope for the best.

Soldato
If the aluminium was copper or nickel plated it wouldn't be an issue. But we all know what EK's nickel plating is like.

And there's no excuse for using aluminium in the first place.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I had the x570 version of this board and the loop connected through that VRM block for a year and a half before the look got disassembled and the loop was still clean, I even took a torch and had a look around and it looked clean inside. So hit seems this change to aluminium is a recent development for Asus as they try to cut costs

Soldato
Looks like EK messed it up big time as opposed to Asus.

I still don’t understand why EK is such a premium product and people willing to buy their products so readily when they have a trend or track record of pushing out crap after crap

Back
Top Bottom