PSU 12v rail

Suspended
Got a nasty feeling I know what the answer will be but.........

Have an Aerocool550w psu and the problem is the 12v rail is reading 1.68....just started doing this and I was wondering if anyone who has some experience of psu's (mine is very limited) would know if there would be a particular reason for this, or could suggest a fix?, or even if one exists?

Pc fires up fine but seems very slow, will play COD online with no apparent problem.

System spec is
FX53
6800GT
MSI K8N Neo Plat
2 x 1GB Corsair XMS3500LL
NEC DVDRW
Watercooling to cpu and gfx

Any suggestions gratefully received as to a fix as the psu is in a watercooled unit and I dread having to take it all out again :eek:

Associate
Dingo said:
Got a nasty feeling I know what the answer will be but.........

Have an Aerocool550w psu and the problem is the 12v rail is reading 1.68....just started doing this and I was wondering if anyone who has some experience of psu's (mine is very limited) would know if there would be a particular reason for this, or could suggest a fix?, or even if one exists?

Pc fires up fine but seems very slow, will play COD online with no apparent problem.

System spec is
FX53
6800GT
MSI K8N Neo Plat
2 x 1GB Corsair XMS3500LL
NEC DVDRW
Watercooling to cpu and gfx

Any suggestions gratefully received as to a fix as the psu is in a watercooled unit and I dread having to take it all out again :eek:

I don't think you are measuring this correctly. ;) If that was the case methinks you would not have a functioning PC. :rolleyes:

Are you measuring the voltage with the PC powered up 'cause it won't measure 12v unless it is. ;)

Soldato
You shouldn't see more than 5% from nominal, load or no load. You don't measure the voltage on the motherboard itself unless you know that its unmodified voltage point. You maybe reading a regulated output, which doesn't mean a lot. Take the rail measurements from a molex, between black and yellow. And if you really are seeing 1.68v on the 12v rail bin it. Is sounds more like the monitoring program has a gremlin.

Suspended
OP
Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated. ;)

I am using MBM and PC Wizard and get (now) 1.27 on the MBM dashboard yet 12.65 on the Wizard with temps of 30 (case) and 33(cpu).

The pc however keeps hanging whilst running in normal mode so I am at a loss as to whether it's an alternate problem or MBM is right!!.

Any more ideas would be most welcome ;)

Associate
Dingo said:
Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated. ;)

I am using MBM and PC Wizard and get (now) 1.27 on the MBM dashboard yet 12.65 on the Wizard with temps of 30 (case) and 33(cpu).

The pc however keeps hanging whilst running in normal mode so I am at a loss as to whether it's an alternate problem or MBM is right!!.

Any more ideas would be most welcome ;)

I am certain that MBM is reporting the voltage incorrectly! Your PC would not run if the 12v rail was defective. I think you need to look elsewhere for the pc hanging?

My suggestion would be to start a new thread with full system spec and exactly when and how it hangs! That way you should get the most informed replies ;)

Back
Top Bottom