• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PSU Connectors?

Associate
Currently and in the future do most GPUs use 8 pin or 16 pin connectors ?

Im asking because currently my RX 580 only uses 8 pin but in future i may need 16

If you see in the picture my PSU does support 16pin however it would be very difficult without bending cables drastically...
49080362937_bf436f2316_b.jpg

Soldato
Most are 8+8 these days at least on the higher end cards not sure about the 580 probably 6+8.

Either way its better to have a separate power rail for that i.e. a separate cable for each, if available.

Soldato
ah yeah I see the question now. Ideally you'd have different rails supplying each input to the GPU.

Have you not got another 6/8 pin connector coming from your PSU? Most recent ones have had that for years

Associate
OP
Most are 8+8 these days at least on the higher end cards not sure about the 580 probably 6+8.

Either way its better to have a separate power rail for that i.e. a separate cable for each, if available.

My 580 only has 1x8 pin connector on it.
Had a look in my case and there are no more 8 pin connectors

Regarding the photo I posted do you guys think it would be possible to use both of them cables or not ( If i was to buy a more powerful GPU in future ) ? Like I said i'd have to really bend them to get both to fit at the same time

My RX580 only uses 1x8 pin so thats fine, but my concern is that some use 2x8 pin which would be really difficult to bend both cables round

Come to think of it, I only have a 500w PSU so 2x8pin GPUs would require more power right ?

I've had a quick check of some upgrades from the RX580 and most require 8pin only anyway

How does my RX580 compare to most other GPUs for 1080 gaming ?

Last edited:
Soldato
you could warm it with a hairdryer or low heat in the oven before bending, only 50 degrees or something for five mins

Soldato
Try the Power Supplies subforum instead you'd get better responses in there.
Agree. Can't say I've heard of that brand.

Separate cables and or rails generally best but that's not to say that if a PSU can handle it on one then why not if it's within rated spec.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try the Power Supplies subforum instead you'd get better responses in there.

Sorry double post. Is it a coolermaster PSU?

If so per the product manual you will have X2 PCI-e 6(+2) pin cables. Did you look for the second one?
Unless they mean both your connectors are on one cable as in your pic, they must intend for it to be used!

Your 12v rail capability is 38A. While it's been a while I've had to think rail specs that strikes me as a fairly decent number and the PSU is from a reputable brand I should think it would be fine.

Others might chime in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom