PSU dual 12V rails, what is actually split?

Associate
Generally the split is between the motherboard connector on 1 rail and all hard drives/pci-e 6pin on the other rail.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not 100% sure of this.

Soldato
OP
The reason I ask is because my current PSU started ticking and annoying me so I may need a new one soon, but I have a PCIe videocard with a normal molex and I thought that the PCIe connectors on some PSU were on a separate rail.

But if the split is between mobo and rest it shouldn't matter that I use a molex instead of the PCIe connector.

Associate
The split is between the motherboard 12V connector (4 pin one) and the rest, as far as I am aware. It is done to give supposedly 'cleaner' power to the motherboard and hence the CPU.

Everything else (PCIe, molex, etc. are on one rail). Worse case scenario is that if one rail is overloaded the PSU might automatically switch to combined mode and act like a classic PSU.

Martin

Soldato
OP
Mole said:
The split is between the motherboard 12V connector (4 pin one) and the rest, as far as I am aware. It is done to give supposedly 'cleaner' power to the motherboard and hence the CPU.

Everything else (PCIe, molex, etc. are on one rail). Worse case scenario is that if one rail is overloaded the PSU might automatically switch to combined mode and act like a classic PSU.

Martin
Thanks for the reply, so it really doesn't matter which molex/PCIe connection I use for the videocard which is good.

Back
Top Bottom