PSU for cheap/low spec rig

Soldato
I've pieced together a rig from old parts and a few bits from the MM:
AMD XP1700 (nice clocker from the MM)
Abit NF7-s (sadly a revision 1.0)
NVidia FX5200
512MB corsair RAM
20Gb harddrive

At the moment I'm using a 300W e***** extra value psu which I bought for £7.
I don't doubt the fact its fine just running it for general use, but I want to see what I can get this chip to do, (previous owner had 2.3GHz)

I don't think I dare try with this power supply, so I'm looking for something that can cope with this, without costing too much. (sub £30)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Enermax_111.html
Would the very bottom one here do the trick for a bit of overclocking do you reckon? - handy size too as I'm planning on trying to pick up a micro atx mobo to put the board in at a later date.

Not really bothered by noise, although quiet is a bonus.

As much as I have no problem with paying 50-60 quid on my main pc, I don't fancy buying a power supply for a second rig that costs more than the rig itself :(

I may try getting my Akasa 400w back out of my parents rig, and put this cheapo 300w in it....

How is FSP/Sparkle for a make, not really heard of them until seeing a few people mention them on the subject of powering crossfired X1900XT's.

On This Page I have been looking at the second bottom one, looks like it is more than adequete for the rig I am going to use it in, and is only £30.

Thumbs up / Thumbs down ?

Back
Top Bottom