1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU mains lead amps

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by Horatio23, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Horatio23

Associate

I just received a new configured pc today, and when I unpacked everything to set it up, I discovered that I'd been given two kettle mains leads - one with a 5 amp fuse, and another with a 10 amp fuse.

Obviously, I can't tell which one came with the PSU (Corsair TX650M). I thought that the 5 amp lead was most likely, but then, why did they also include a 10 amp lead?

In the end I used the 10 amp lead, since I was only switching it on to have a quick investigation of Windows 10 (I've been stubbornly holding out on my Windows 7 machine until now). The machine is for 3d rendering, not gaming, so the graphics card will run flat out for hours on end until the image is done.

The PC has one SSD and one HDD, Ryzen 5 1500x, 32 Gb ram and a gtx 1080ti. So my question is, am I ok using the 5 amp lead, or should I be using the 10 amp?

If anyone bought this same PSU, what rating was the fuse in the lead that came with it?

2. bremen1874

Sgarrista

A 5A fuse is more than adequate. It has a capacity that's basically double what that PSU could pull at full load.

3. Horatio23

Associate

That's what I thought, I just wondered if the 10 amp lead was included because it was needed for some reason.

4. MagicBoy

Capodecina

5A is good for 1200W at the wall, so you're well covered.