• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PSU not supplying enough ?

Associate
Having run the 3080 in BFV, the FPS isn't as high as expected. So I ran GPUz in the backlground and saw this

yftojmn.jpg

Is my PSU too old ? It's a BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P10 850W but I bought it over 6 years ago.

Soldato
Set to 100% resolution scale in game?
RTX enabled/disabled?
Nvidia control panel > 3d settings > set to prefer optimal power on prefer power management mode?

Idle is probably because you took it out of the game and it isn't being utilised properly.

Associate
OP
Yeah the idle is the alt tab moments
NV control panel is on max performance, playing in DX 11 with RTX off. When I enabled DX12 and RTX FPS wen through the floor

Soldato
Whats the clock speed and things like that. Nearly always in GPU-Z you will have a performance limit of some kind (unless you undervolt or something), wil be Pwr, voltage or even thermals acting as a limit to card boosting any further. As above, it will show idle when on desktop etc, or I have found if you undervolt conservatively and limit the frequency manually.

Associate
OP
All at stock. temps are fine peaking at 74c although GPUz says it's pulling 343w !

Now getting all sorts - but all power related

Xykt8BG.jpg

Associate
OP
I think a failing PSU may not be supplying enough juice and causing the card to throttle and therefore lower performance. There’s also the worry of a dodgy PSU in a very expensive box.
Can multiple power warnings in GPUZ be correct. ? Should I get a new one ?

Associate
I think a failing PSU may not be supplying enough juice and causing the card to throttle and therefore lower performance. There’s also the worry of a dodgy PSU in a very expensive box.
"Perfcap rerason: Power" means the card is limiting clock because of board power limits. the PSU is just fine.
In fact jayz2c had a video on this topic just this week
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U90bCcPAtMo

Soldato

As above, your fine. Your normally always going to have a performance limit, weather its power, voltage temp etc on most instances. Even with a 1.6kw PSU, my 970 shows similar messages

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yes, but what PROBLEM are you having? What are the symptoms?

Permabanned
What figure are your getting and are expecting? Where did did you get the "expected" figure from? One thing I have noticed with the 3080 is the % improvement tends to be more game dependent that other series.

Soldato

You're hitting the cards power limiter nothing to do with the psu if you look at power consumption you'll see its hitting 350W or whatever the limit your card is set to. If you want to increase the power you'll have to raise the power limiter but you may hit another limit i.e. temperature and noise. The other thing you can do is undervolt to lower power consumption and temperature but may reduce clocks/stability. You'll just have to experiment and see.

Associate
OP
I can see this is education week for me. Yes indeed, I'm hitting power limits rather than not enough oomph
Thanks all

Back
Top Bottom