psu on way out?

Soldato
hi, have been having random freezing happening every few minutes or couple seconds. occurs when cpu is overclocked and at stock, everything else at stock or below still happens. i have switched between sound card and onboard sounds still get it. generally a split second freeze most noticable whilst playing music.

i have just bee looking at my Vcore and was wondering if it going between +- 0.04V is as bad as i think? do u think my psu could be on the way out ? or is something else causing me problems. happens whilst multitasking and when its not doing anything but playing music.

spec:
A64 3200 (stock cooler etc).
Asus A8V delux
1GB corsair value (i am cheap :P)
asus 6800 (stock)
ibm 80gb hdd
120gb maxtor
350 w enermax PSU
pioneer dvd and nec 4551.

any help will be much appriciated.

I dunno about ASUS boards, but you say in your post '350 w enermax PSU'

If thats...+12V 16 Amp then you are at the minimum recommended for that system.

Maybe ASUS is more economical, but if that was an MSI, it would be min 18 Amps on the 12 volt rail.

Vcore changes are standard (least are on mine , it jumps every 1 second to a diff voltage ) and ** change in VCORE voltage is very normall...

Do you mean it freezes compltly (nothing respondsing anymore till reboot) or just temporary (every xx seconds for a little bit)

Can be just about anything can be psu, use this site and fill in ** specs to see how much power u need, http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
if it says mroe than 350w i'd recommend u to upgarde to somit between 400 and 480 watts

with the info u provided tho the site calculated ** psu is good enough (tho u need to fill it in urself as i dont know how much fans and other stuff you have...)

Try perhaps loading bios defaults, you can also try doing stuff liek switching slots for ram, can be also an app that just doesnt work correctly, do ctrl+alt+del and see what processes all are on and close all but essential ones and see if still freezes after and if theres one using 80~100% of your cpu close it...

only happens for 1 sec or so, get a cpu usage spike and just does not respond for that time. power thing suggest i am near limit as i have 4 fans floppy 2dvd and couple usb things. might look into upgrading psu.

iraiguana said:
just checked the spec on the psu and its 26A on 12V and might have been the 380W model sorry. but states 353W as power output.

I would have thought that would have been OK depending on what else you have in the box.
I googled for enermax 350 watt, and got 16 amps on 12 volt rail.

Look at threads like this and you can see a low powered cheap PSU just doesn't cut it on this board.

Back
Top Bottom