PSU question (not a spec me!!)

Associate
ok, so i was wondering. What are the actual differences in buying a cheapy 15 quid psu, and a 65+ quid one. could someone explain to me why its better to pay more. Only reason im asking is my mate wants to upgrade and his chosen some random value psu for about 20 odd quid. I know you shouldnt, but i dont really know why. ta

andy

Last edited:

kbc

kbc

Associate
brocksta said:
ok, so i was wondering. What are the actual differences in buying a cheapy 15 quid psu, and a 65+ quid one. could someone explain to me why its better to pay more. Only reason im asking is my mate wants to upgrade and his chosen some random value psu for about 20 odd quid, lol.

Apart from being made out of pretty cheap components and the likelyhood of instability or a fire hazard, getting a £60+ PSU is worth the effort. It is more likely not to suffer from unstable voltage rails which can pretty much fry your components if it's feeling feisty.

Permabanned
Explain to him buying cheap PSU is false economy. It could damage the components and be unable to provide stable voltage on each output. If it does damage other components looking at several hundred pounds (hard drives, motherboad, CPU, memory, videocard, soundcard) So is really worth it?

It's likely a cheap PSU is so shoddy it'll just blow up in his face (yes I've seen devices where large 1 farad capacitors were incorrect phase!)

Soldato
I dont think swapping one cheap PSU for another can be considered an upgrade, even if one claims to be rated at more watts chances are that's the most they ever got the test sample to run before it vapourised and not a figure you could expect it to output 24/7.

The PSU is the heart of the system the one piece that all the others depend on to operate properly, so skimping on it really is a false economy.

Associate
Three reasons I would,

1. To provide enough wattage for your current rig and future upgrades.

2. For safe and stable power delivery = stable system, (I hear 12v supply to major components can be poor in some cheap psu's)

3. For quiet operation.

I would go for enemax for economy or otherwise seasonic. They are a similar design and fit the above criteria.

Back
Top Bottom