PSU Recommendations for home server

Associate
I've just upgraded my gaming rig and I'm looking to repurpose my old hardware as a home media and file server. The hardware to be repurposed is an i7 4790, 16GB DDR3 H81 mATX motherboard and a 256GB SATA SSD boot drive.

Initially the idea is to get two 3.5 HDDs in RAID 1 so me and my wife can dump our numerous external hard drives onto and have access to remotely.

In the future I may look to drop in some more HDDs for a home CCTV system.

I'll need a new PSU. Slightly different use case to my desktop as it will be switched on 24/7 and low power draw compared to my gaming rig. Therefore I imagine efficiency will be important? Are there any specific types or features for a PSU I should look out for considering this use case? Thanks

Last edited:
I'll need a new PSU. Slightly different use case to my desktop as it will be switched on 24/7 and low power draw compared to my gaming rig. Therefore I imagine efficiency will be important? Are there any specific types or features for a PSU I should look out for considering this use case? Thanks
Efficiency ratings don't mean much for very low power draw, best to check individual reviews if it matters to you. From memory, Corsair's RMx tend to do well in this use case.

Unfortunately, you're likely to struggle with getting something affordable because most models start at 650 or 750 nowadays and with the hybrid fans they have, the PSU fan will likely never turn on.

The other thing I'd check is the length and number of SATA cables/connectors, especially if you're planning to dump a lot of them in the server.

What case were you thinking? Something like the node 804?

Back
Top Bottom