PSU Single Rail Or Multi Rail ?

Soldato
I got the Corsair RMi 1000w 80+ Gold a few days ago and it's a great PSU but there's 1 thing I was curious about.

It has the ability through the software interface to switch from a multi rail system to a single rail, Would this actually make any difference to the performance of the system ?

Soldato
Multi rail doesn't really have any advantages apart from getting over the problem of making one rail carry a load of power.

Single rail is better because say for example you had a couple of 800w PSUs, one single rail and one dual rail. If you pulled 700w from the PSUs, the single rail PSU would have 100w left on the rail, but the dual rail PSU could have one rail with 150w left, and one rail overloaded by 50w.

Having said all that, it doesn't matter as long as long as enough power is available.

I don't see how you can switch between single rail and multi rail. Sounds gimmicky to me.

Soldato
OP
Multi rail doesn't really have any advantages apart from getting over the problem of making one rail carry a load of power.

Single rail is better because say for example you had a couple of 800w PSUs, one single rail and one dual rail. If you pulled 700w from the PSUs, the single rail PSU would have 100w left on the rail, but the dual rail PSU could have one rail with 150w left, and one rail overloaded by 50w.

Having said all that, it doesn't matter as long as long as enough power is available.

I don't see how you can switch between single rail and multi rail. Sounds gimmicky to me.

Well it has multiple 12v rails so you either have both on or switch to a single rail.

Soldato
I've always assumed various connectors are wired (internally) to certain rails in a multi-12V-rail supply. Could be wrong.

Single rail is the way to go if possible - no need to worry about overloading an individual rail.

It's the (older) specification, single rail PSUs are a more recent development.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_supply_unit_(computer)#Multiple_.2B12.C2.A0V_rails

Last edited:
Caporegime
Brilliant explanation here http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

I really do like Johnnyguru and his psu reviews over anybody elses. Even amkes me laugh sometimes :)

In general, proper, multi rails are safer. Neither is better or will give you better performance or stability.

AFter reading the review on your psu I would be tempted to run it on multiple rails http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/RM1000i/2.html

Looks like a great PSU and good to see Corsair back to good psu's again. The ones they built after the stunning AX1200 have never been as good.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Proper multi rails dont work like that.

In your example the 2nd 800W psu would have two rails, each capable of pulling 600W in total probably.

In the ops case his PSU has 8 rails each of which maxes out at 500W. :eek:

Obviously no more than 1000W in total. 500W limit on each rail should be more than enough for any build.

Soldato
No difference to the performance. Multi rail is safer though. Multi rails, once you go back beyond the over current safety circuits share a common 12v SMPS supply anyway, otherwise we'd have voltage differences and that would be bad.

Back
Top Bottom