PSU went POP!!!

Associate
Just turned my machine on and pop, a funny smokey smell and no boot up :(

I had a Antec SL400P (400w) i'm just wondering before i go and buy a new PSU what can cause a PSU to blow? perhaps it had too little power for all my devices? Thinking that might be the case as i just upgraded to a X2 3800.

System Spec:

amd X2 3800
Saphire ATI radeon Xpress 200 chipset PURE crossfire
1gb Corsair CL2 stuff
x850XT
2x80gb WD
1x160gb WD
1x35gb WD raptor
DVD-Rewriter
couple of case fans

Could someone kindly spec me a PSU, more interested in how much power, as i hear that the Tagans are good. £70 is how much i'd like to spend.

Associate
OP
i dont know yet, is that likely?!!? i'm just about to try another power supply in there to see.

The really odd thing is.... i must just be having a really unlucky day, my £550 canon miniDV camcorder broke earlier today and straight after my PSU went pop i went downstairs to grab a screw driver and turned a light switch and BANG!!! the light bulb blew straight out the socket with sparks and almost hit me on the noggin!!! :eek:

EDIT : that Tagan is not in stock atm, and i really need one asap, any other suggestions?

there is another Tagen 530, whats the difference between the U22's and the U15's?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah its not been a good day at all, my bastetball team played in the semi-finals today and lost :( and i'm not playing because i got a sprained ankle a few days ago. :mad: i was really looking forward to chilling and playing some CSS aswell.

anywho what about this PSU?

Tagan TG580-U22 580W ATX2.01 2Force SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-006-TG)

thanks for the help ;)

EDIT: i wouldn't mind one with 2 PCI-express connectors as i may go to crossfire soon. those Hiper dont look like have that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok just got a substitute PSU in there (only a 350w) i have unplugged some of my drives and the DVD-RW, it has booted and seems that all the hardware is ok phew!!! Do you think that having a under powered CPU can cause it to blow?? or was it caused by something esle?

Think i'll go for the Tagan non-mod 580.

Associate
OP
my camera has played up since i got it, but the other day it just stopped working and starting flashing a red message saying "remove tape now!!" so i opened it and the tape was mangled inside the camera :mad: took me ages to clear it all out :( anywho that'l have to be RMA'd. I'm just glad nothing else was damaged when the PSU went, especially my brand new X2 3800!! i would have been raged!!

i will suggest a sparky come over and check out our electrics.

Back
Top Bottom