PSUs, cpu fans and that x1800 on special?

Associate
Yep, I'm confused again. Luckily enough, I've decided what I'm going to get mostly, I'm just not sure about power supplies.
Now, I know enough to never buy another QTec (unfortunately thanks to learning from my own experience rather than someone else's) but I'm not quite sure what to get. I'm trying to keep this cheap as I'm already near the limit of what I can afford for the rest, but obviously I don't want something cheap and nasty that'll melt the fancy bits n pieces (A64 3700, X1800XT). Not too interested in all the fancy options like detachable cables, etc.

Here's what I'm considering:
Antec Truepower 2 430w £53
Tagan TG480 480w £59
Enermax Liberty 400w for £53
FSP Sparkle 400w £47
The FSP is temptingly cheap, but is it up to the job?

Or should I just get a £61 Antec case & 400w PSU and try and sell on either that case or this one secondhand?

Also, should I get a retail Athlon 64 or should I get an OEM and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro? I was thinking about the latter, but is just getting the retail pack a better idea, considering that it'd save me about £15 as I'd need some Arctic Silver too? How would they compare noise & temperature wise?

Also, if I order that X1800XT on special that's labelled pre-order, will everything get sent at once later on or will everything else get sent straight off and the card be sent later. Also, when is it expected to be in stock?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the opinion on the FSP, I might get that.
OK so the retail's heatsink&fan is ok then? is it noisier than the one I was considering?
Can't stretch the extra £30 for the 512mb version, so I guess I'll just have to order the 256mb one and wait.
Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom