PUBG crate. The spares build.

Soldato
Another one :D

So I had pretty much quit gaming on PC. I bought an XB1X and a PS4 Pro and had taken to being a couch potato pretty well. Then a friend of mine from Hampshire told me he gamed most nights with his pals, but they only played PUBG. And that was when the love affair began.

Absolutely cracking bunch of guys, my age, who share the same sense of humour and fun. So basically I have fallen in love with the game, but for more reasons than it just being a game. I had never really played online much before, but the highs and lows of PUBG are just epic.

I built a new PC when the pandemic kicked off in early 2020. I never even really used it until I began the PUBG. Now it is literally most evenings. So for the first time in years I had a valid reason to upgrade my 2080Ti, and I bought a 6800XT. Literally because I only really play PUBG on that rig now. I have another 2080Ti rig at my mother's house, but I game a lot more on that with other stuff because I don't have anything else there (no consoles, no surround sound, etc). She needs quite a bit of help now she's nearly 80, so yeah having one there was a must. I did think about swapping out the 2080Ti in it (as it has slightly dodgy VRAM) but worked out it was more trouble than it was worth.

So, I had a spare 2080Ti and a bloody good one at that.

uoMwKqP.jpg

So I upgraded that to a 6800XT, then wondered what to do. Thing is, GPU prices are through the floor, and with it being such a lovely card I really don't want, or need, to sell it. I put it back in the box a few days ago, then started with the ideas.

Right now I am running 3 rigs in my flat. One is a NAS, which I was going to change out for a full blown server (which I built) but never bothered setting up (I just don't need it TBH) and then of course the rig above, which now has a 6800XT in.

yzL7nGt.jpg

And then the server is literally just sitting there.

w9bIu5D.jpg

Doing absolutely nothing. I also have a PC I use for music.

wxgAz4A.jpg

As well as two consoles. Too much. So, I advertised the consoles, one has sold. My aim now is to replace the music PC, consoles, server etc with a PC. A PC that can store all of the audio locally (a much better idea) as well as play games, well, and replace the consoles. It would be a pig to try and hook my gaming rig to the PC, and would require a £250 DP cable from QED that can reach that far. So, I am going to take the Threadripper gear out of the server (which has 64gb RAM, and god knows how many SSDs in it !) and have sold the audio PC to a mate of mine.

So other than the Kingpin this is what I will be harvesting from the server.

p63tASy.jpg

TR 1920X, 64GB RAM, 960gb Revodrive 3 X4, and several SSDs.

So now I needed a case. One that can hold both of the AIOs. This soon becomes a problem. Most mid towers have mounts in the roof, but only enough space to either have a rad with no fans on, or just fans. Which is stupid. That extra 30mm? usually pushes you to a full tower, and that costs about £200 entry level. I looked around at a lot of cases. Hours upon hours, yet nothing was affordable enough or big enough.

Then I found out NZXT did this in 2018.

xxGbxEj.jpg

MvhKQwF.jpg

wWlvwEB.jpg

But the chances of getting one now? practically zero. I have searched, numerous times, for the Fallout 4 or Nuka World case they did. No chance. I don't know why, as they make 2000 of them, but it seems people either never get rid of them or just buy them and put them fully boxed into a wardrobe. So imagine how stunned I was when I found a used one (from a company, not a user) for £99. The inner child in me just went mad :D The main important thing is though that it has tons of space, and can easily host a rad with fans on in both the front and the top. Which is essential.

So I bought it. I then thought about cabling. I only have black or silver, and they wouldn't look right. So, off to OCUK and I ordered two kits of Phanteks. One red, one blue. I also needed one 120mm nice looking fan to bring air in at the back, and have 4 black Eloops which will be pushing that air through both rads and out (front and top).

dA4RLEv.png

For cabling it will go like this. 24 pin red, with the four last wires changed for blue. GPU, two 8 pins in red, with the final one being blue. CPU one 8 pin in red, the 4 pin in blue.

Case shipped out today, so should be here mid week. No doubt I will have other ideas for the theme. It's tacky AF, but I have a very reserved PC for my main gaming, this is going to be 100% fun.

Soldato
OP
Oh yeah forgot to add. Apparently the non window side has marks. I think it was a review unit. So, just in case they are bad I bought these. They are official, and were handed out at comps a few years back.

2k0OvIA.jpg

TBH with placement you will only see the front any way.

Associate
I used to play PUBG loads on pc. Moved to console when I moved house and sold my 1080ti. Miss PC gaming at times! Watching this to see how it pans out

Soldato
OP
"To see how it pans out"

Genius :D

The case is coming tomorrow. The OCUK stuff arrived at my mother's earlier. I need to collect the PSU, the OCUK order and a few other bits. So it was better to send there because it can be a pain here.

Talking of pans. I should have a miniature replica somewhere. I bought them for my friends as keyrings.

Soldato
What mode in PUBG do you play? I'm the same and play it most evenings but pretty much only ranked. I see the same names in game all the time now so probably have come across you if you play ranked

Soldato
OP
Not ranked. We play usually in squads of 3 or 4 in FPP. There are sometimes 6 of us, so either the two waiting play duos or we rotate for a break (we're old :D )

Problem is most nights we just troll other players or each other, then end up arguing lmao. As I said in the OP, I do love the game (it's about as serious as this sort of game can be without being for kids only) but it's the lols we have, and there are tons. Mostly just ripping on one of our squad as he is usually the brunt of all of the jokes. But we have all grown pretty close which is awesome. I go down to them on holiday once a year (Christchurch/Mudeford) and we have a LAN night etc.

I bought every one one of those pans. A fellow team mate got us all these last year when medals became a thing and it started turning into a really funny competition about who has the most beaten up medals LOL.

FQx11mU.jpg

nURnIAB.jpg

Just pure fun and laughter. I have tons of pics, but this one was about the funniest. Sticking a crossbow bolt in your team mate. Which turned into "If you do it and someone has an uzi they can kill you" and etc.

srMqTCn.jpg

We titled that one "Crossbow bolt in the foot face palm"

Soldato
Fair enough the group I play with gave up on normal as the loot was rubbish and then all the gimmicks, we still don't take it to serious. Land safe and talk rubbish/drink for 15-20mins whilst looting then try and get chicken dinner.

I agree with you that nothing quite has the same appeal as PUBG, Have had some great laughs in normal matches using in-game chat and a soundboard.

We went through a stage on Erangle when we played normal of going down into one the the bunkers near shooting range, waiting until we got trapped in there. Smoking the exit then driving up the stairs whilst blasting A-team out on all talk as we emerged from the smoke to a hail of bullets.

Good luck with your build.

Soldato
OP
I vowed after buying the Phanteks neon RGB kit that I would never use normal strips again. I love the way the LEDs get diffused and literally look like neon bars even though they are not. Given the case turned out to be new and mint I decided to treat myself. Behold, AIRGOO !

Oisys9N.jpg

Nice thing is they are half of the price of the Phanteks and don't need a £25 controller. I also CBA using those velcro things. They are annoying.

2jPJnPQ.jpg

y8SmMy7.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ruddy 'eck it's hot. I managed to get this far before tapping out.

MBqFmqo.jpg

m0V0PsO.jpg

One thing really nagging me was the memory. I really don't fancy buying 8 memory heatsinks at around a tenner each, nor do I want to try and remove them (each one is in three pieces and there are 8) but it was really eating at me. Bloody OCD.

I did a search on that site and found these for a tenner each. The centre ano piece can be changed out and they come with silver, red and blue. Perfect.

xFrl9wk.jpg

Soldato
OP
Air drop.

MH7kitZ.jpg

I did double check to make sure it isn't the splodey one.

GFG0ful.jpg

Behold, the air goo.

FJUXCXi.jpg

Found a hose clamp too. I should have two more of these. They are ace for stopping hoses on AIOs annoying you.

QEJtsIv.jpg

This ought to do it for cables. Now I must practice removing them in order to mod the red 24 pin with 4 blue cables.

4KKzW9K.jpg

Soldato
OP
Crazy to be going with the GB PSU but the PC seems to be coming together nicely.

I used it for over a year. With a Threadripper. The splodey one was recent. Got it from OCUK ages ago for £55 B grade. The smoothing caps are a pain, but I have cable extensions :)

It would be crazy to replace it, given it RRPs at £100. And is a very good PSU.

They are idiots though for making those cut down nasty ones. Really does screw your rep when you do that.

Soldato
OP
OK. So I found an EVGA SATA run on a 6 pin that fits. It's wired differently, but a quick buzz through it and a comparison to the GB cable should provide me with the last connector. I may not need that many, but I will only know when I start building. Due to that I coughed up for a tool. I don't want to wreck the Phanteks cables, and given I need to remove another 5 I just thought it better to get the tool.

4FIkrVK.jpg

Especially after the nightmares with that Enermax PSU in the server.

Moving on, the Lian Li fan has a 3 pin connector. Annoying. Thankfully I have found a pinout

f73wjXI.jpg

Credit goes to Thrasher on LTT forum. The Air Goo use that connector to join together, so I have a spare male to 4/3pin plus one blocked ARGB cable. So I can buzz that too and swap the pins if needs be.

You know one day I will do a build that doesn't get really technical FFS.

Soldato
OP
For a spares build this is pretty insane!

Looks good though, very well thought out.

Yeah it's quite mad the crap I have managed to accumulate tbh.

I did consider selling it but the losses involved are ridiculous. Like, the 1920x cost me £120 brand new three years back but the board was closer to £300. It still worked out an epic deal, but selling now just isn't worth it. The GPU? crikey. That said it still performs brilliantly so there is just no reason to sell it.

Being a completely spare rig too I can throw my inner child at it. Which really has been a lot of fun. I suppose that sums it up really, fun.

Soldato
Yeah it's quite mad the crap I have managed to accumulate tbh.

I did consider selling it but the losses involved are ridiculous. Like, the 1920x cost me £120 brand new three years back but the board was closer to £300. It still worked out an epic deal, but selling now just isn't worth it. The GPU? crikey. That said it still performs brilliantly so there is just no reason to sell it.

Being a completely spare rig too I can throw my inner child at it. Which really has been a lot of fun. I suppose that sums it up really, fun.
I'm the same mate, i've got 2 50 litre storage boxes full to the brim and then a room full of parts with bits and bobs i've just collected over the years. Trying to sell some stuff now as its getting bad lol!

Yup! Sometimes its just nice to have the parts available to just have some fun building a computer and making it different. I have a 9900k itx system spare now that im trying to sell but might end up keeping it for funsies haha!

Back
Top Bottom