Pulsar XLite V3 Mouse - Weight Mod

Soldato
I bought a Pulsar XLite V3 wireless mouse to go with my laptop to replace a Logitech M510 as the middle mouse button is playing up again, after me replacing it once, so it is going to be relegated to occasional Steam Deck use. However, the weight difference between the two mice is astonishing. The Pulsar is so light I care barely tell I'm holding it and I find lifting and replacing to extend cursor travel on screen feels slightly weird, so I'm going to add some weight to it to bring it back up towards the weight of the M510. After a day getting used to the new grip I can tell the mouse is a vast improvement over the M510 in feel and button quality. Reviews of this mouse put it in multiple Top 5 lists, but it's just the weight of it.

Luckily the design of the Pulsar mouse shell is it has large cut-outs in the base of the mouse into which you can stuff blu tack or plasticine or whatever right into the body of the mouse. I'm not sure why these cut-outs are even there, other than to actually intentionally reduce the weight of it, it really is as light as a feather, but they will be just the job to mod it without having to open it. I'm getting some stick on motorbike wheel balance weights to fit in there so will be able to gradually increase the weight and ensure it is balanced each side.

I'll post some pictures of it when I do it, but I'm posting this now to see if anyone else has this mouse and has done anything similar?

Associate
I have the Pulsar xlite v2 retro. I really enjoy using it now but like you, it took a while to get used to, it is ridiculously light. I moved from a fully weighted G502 wired that I had used for probably 10yrs+.... the difference was astounding - I had to dial the sensitivity of the mouse way down to start but I've now worked back up again after getting used to nearly flinging it across the room.

(obv statement, but making sure mouse acceleration was off helped with gaming accuracy for me - the new mouse defaulted to turning it back on in windows).

Fast clicks are great, the wheel is ok... although I do miss the infinite free wheel of the G502. The mouse looks great though with matching keycaps, which is the most important thing :cool:

Soldato
OP
Aye, it is a lovely feeling mouse once my hand got used to the grip change and buttons are perfect. I'm not going to go mad with adding weight I don't think, just something so I can feel I have lifted it off the mouse mat by the weight of it, because as it stands I can barely tell its there at all. No acceleration being used, <makes vampire crucifix symbol with fingers>. I do miss the smooth scrolling think you could switch on in the Logitech software, so the screen scrolled smoothly in Chrome etc, but its not so bad.

Edit: I will also miss the ability to map buttons to other functions/keys on a per game basis as with the Logitech software, but apparently the X-Mouse software can be used instead in the background and do the same thing. I believe it is free software too, though haven't checked it out fully yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Pulsar Xlite V3 weighs a paltry 55g. To put in in context a MX518 weighs 102g, and G502 weighs 122g and the M510 weighs 133g.

Going to put some of these...
v3DF2Y7.jpeg

In to this...
0F08leR.jpeg

Almost as if they want you to do it.
LGmW5Gt.jpg

Masking tape down on the PCB to make it easier to take them off if need as they have a strong adhesive backing. There is no chance on them coming off and going inside the mouse due to the adhesive.
Blu Tak for the bottom one to shape the recess in the shape for the weight. Top right will need a bit filing off the weight to fit, will do that later.
zckSNkc.png

More Blu Tak around the bottom weight to help keep it in position.
A3M2SxG.png

Layer of insulation tape to hide. Could improve on this with some thin black plastic sheet cut to each aperture to make each one flat and neat.
mnJjS9A.png

All in all it's gone from 55g to 85g and is still balanced. I can actually feel I am holding something now. All done without having to open up the shell.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Lighter gaming mouse has definitely been a game changer. Flick movements are consistently easier on a mouse that is 55g or lower than one that is 60g+

I had the 46g Burst II air and now have the new DeathAdder V3 HyperSpeed which is 55g, between the two the V3 feels lighter due to its ergo shape fitting the palm better.

I also have the Endgame XM2we which is 63g and the difference between 55 and 63 is noticeable due to the shape different and narrower width of the DAv3HS.

Cannot believe people put up with mice that were well over 70 for so long, some Logitech gaming mice are still 80g+!

Soldato
OP
I've long since stopped playing competitive multiplayer flick shooters and am pretty much all strategy games these days. For that I find accurate movement to menu buttons, icons etc is more important to me, plus often long screen travel where landing on an end point on a button consistently is key. For this I found that going from a weighty mouse to this one I could barely feel made this seem harder. As Andy says above I could have probably got used to this over time, but since this mod was so easy, just to bring the weight up a little, I went for it. I have now actually removed the larger weight in the bottom centre as after using it for a bit longer it did affect the overall balance, so it is now at 75g and feels just about right for me. So yeah, for fast fps multiplayer twitch I can see how a featherweight mouse has its advantages if you can used to it, but for me I just needed that little bit of extra drag on the mouse via its weight.

Back
Top Bottom