Pump dead? Corsair Hydro H115i

Soldato
Hi Everyone.
I left my PC on this afternoon to download some stuff from Steam but i've just come back to it dead. I turn it on and the two fans on the H115i whir up to full speed and the RGB on the CPU block are red. The BIOS says that the CPU is at about 90 decC; then it goes dead.

The two hoses by the block are hot to touch.

I think the pump has died. I cant get to any other screens in this state but i'll try again later on - will Corsair software say it has? I think id get a incorrect reading.

Sound like im right? anything else I can do to check/diagnose? The thing is only a week old.

Soldato
Nothing but failure of coolant flow could cause such temperatures at idle.
If it were old, water molecules permeating through tubing could have cause lack of coolant, but that's out of question.
That basically leaves pump failure as only possibility.
(unless motherboard header died)

Soldato
Hi Everyone.
I left my PC on this afternoon to download some stuff from Steam but i've just come back to it dead. I turn it on and the two fans on the H115i whir up to full speed and the RGB on the CPU block are red. The BIOS says that the CPU is at about 90 decC; then it goes dead.

The two hoses by the block are hot to touch.

I think the pump has died. I cant get to any other screens in this state but i'll try again later on - will Corsair software say it has? I think id get a incorrect reading.

Sound like im right? anything else I can do to check/diagnose? The thing is only a week old.
Plug the pump into a fan header and see if that makes a difference

Soldato
OP
Nothing but failure of coolant flow could cause such temperatures at idle.
If it were old, water molecules permeating through tubing could have cause lack of coolant, but that's out of question.
That basically leaves pump failure as only possibility.
(unless motherboard header died)

Plug the pump into a fan header and see if that makes a difference

Cheers both.
I've just moved the header onto a different set of pins and nothing happened. I watched from bios the CPU temp rise about 1dec every 2-3 seconds, up to 70odd then I had to turn it off.

Dead AIO.
(Just realised there is a watercooling area, whoops!)

Soldato
Cheers both.
I've just moved the header onto a different set of pins and nothing happened. I watched from bios the CPU temp rise about 1dec every 2-3 seconds, up to 70odd then I had to turn it off.

Dead AIO.
That must be very annoying. Get it sent back

Associate
Cheers both.

Dead AIO.

Sucks that this happened to you but I'm not at all surprised unfortunately. I'm on my 3rd Corsair AIO after pump issues on the first 2. H100 > H100i > H100i v2

Haven't had any problems with this one yet but probably going back to air as it's not a huge difference in temps and the noise from the H100i can get really annoying, wish I'd sold the most recent one while it was still new after warranty replacement.

Soldato
OP
Sucks that this happened to you but I'm not at all surprised unfortunately. I'm on my 3rd Corsair AIO after pump issues on the first 2. H100 > H100i > H100i v2
Haven't had any problems with this one yet but probably going back to air as it's not a huge difference in temps and the noise from the H100i can get really annoying, wish I'd sold the most recent one while it was still new after warranty replacement.

It's in the post back to OCUK HQ. Hopefully the replacement might have more luck. If it dies again i'll reconsider air.

Soldato
It's in the post back to OCUK HQ. Hopefully the replacement might have more luck. If it dies again i'll reconsider air.

Obviously CLC are as low as possible on the reliablity and performance list of water cooling systems and components. I find it funning that peeps buy extremely expensive components to get better quailty and performance, but skimp on case, case fans, and component cooling to the point its penny wise and pound foolish. Good PSu and cooling (cooler and fans) is often key to life of other components. High temps wear things out faster.

Soldato
OP
Obviously CLC are as low as possible on the reliablity and performance list of water cooling systems and components. I find it funning that peeps buy extremely expensive components to get better quailty and performance, but skimp on case, case fans, and component cooling to the point its penny wise and pound foolish. Good PSu and cooling (cooler and fans) is often key to life of other components. High temps wear things out faster.

yep. Case and cooling was one of the first things that I put on the 'to buy' list when I started. Its my first in over 10 years and I wanted to try something that I hadn't before. 10 years ago AIO's didn't exist and I couldn't afford any custom liquid cooling back then. When I saw that AIO's were out this time around, it became something that I wanted to try out for myself.

Soldato
yep. Case and cooling was one of the first things that I put on the 'to buy' list when I started. Its my first in over 10 years and I wanted to try something that I hadn't before. 10 years ago AIO's didn't exist and I couldn't afford any custom liquid cooling back then. When I saw that AIO's were out this time around, it became something that I wanted to try out for myself.
All fine and good. But first off, CLCs are a sub-group of AIO group. All CLCs are factory sealed with no provision to add/change coolant as needed. AIOs at are not CLC have threaded fittings, a fill port, copper radiators, etc. All making AIO's (hopefully) better built than CLCs. But still, AIOs are only slightly better than CLCs, and both are at the very absolute bottom of performance and quality standards of liquid cooling for computers.

I'm using a be quiet! Sillent Loop 280 in one of my systems and have been every sense they first came out .. so about 3 years now. I topped up after about 6 months, checked it at 1 year, flushed and changed coolant at 18 months and topped up once sence then. It's time to change coolant again now. Still working perferctly. But it's not a CLC. ;)

Back
Top Bottom