Pump fan not spinning

Associate
Hello!

My hardware:
- MB: Aorus Master x570
- reservoir: O11D DISTRO-PLATE G1
- pump: DDC 3.1 (included)

my pump fan is attached to the SYS_FAN5_PUMP PWM header and is not spinning when I first boot the pc.
When I knock on it few times, it starts spinning. I don't think this is normal, the pump fan is brand new.

This problem happened to me with a normal case fan which was attached to a PWM splitter (6 fans). One of them was not spinning at all but when I helped it spinning, it started running full speed. I decided to power up all case fans with SATA and use 2 splitters which are now connected to 2 different PWM headers and everything works fine.

In the BIOS I set Full Speed for the SYS_FAN5_PUMP header.

What could be the cause of the problem? Should I try to do the same with the pump fan?

Last edited:
Soldato
There's some confusing language here. A pump is a pump and a fan is a fan. Both have motors inside them though :)

Are you saying you have a DDC pump, connected directly to a motherboard header, with nothing else on that header? That sounds bad if it doesn't start when given a full speed signal.

But I'm interested that it happened with fans too. Does your motherboard have a setting for switching fans off? Maybe below a certain temperature?

Associate
OP
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I double checked and the pump is not screwed down too tight!

I tried changing settings in the BIOS when I first booted the PC but the pump was still not spinning.

Today I tried to move the pump header from the SYS_FAN5_PUMP header to the CPU_FAN header. It started spinning straight away.

SpeedFan does not recognise my fans so I am using Argus Monitor. It works great.

I will monitor the situation and if something will change I'll keep this post updated.

Associate
OP
I am updating the post.

I thought that changing the pump header solved the problem but I am facing the same issue. I tried removing the pump from the distro plate and it seemed to be working straight away.

When I switched on the PC, the pump made some noises as if it wanted to spin but something was holding it.

I think that:
- the water which is inside the pump is creating some sort of resistance and the pump is not powerful enough
- the pump does not receive enough power
- the pump is just faulty

It's strange because this happened all of a sudden and everything was working fine when I first assembled the PC.

Associate
OP
yes just to see if it was spinning correctly and then I've immediately removed the PWM header from the motherboard. Now it works but I have to knock on the pump as explained above, which is not ideal.

Associate
I am using the same mobo as yourself. Which pump exactly is it you are using, web link to manufacturer would help? I am assuming your pump is getting its power from a molex connector which is connected to your PSU auxiliary? Have you tried connecting it to another molex supply from the PSU. If you install the Gigabyte SIV (System Information Viewer) software from the Gigabyte Support web page you can control all your fan and pump speeds through this software.

Associate
OP
I am using the same mobo as yourself. Which pump exactly is it you are using, web link to manufacturer would help? I am assuming your pump is getting its power from a molex connector which is connected to your PSU auxiliary? Have you tried connecting it to another molex supply from the PSU. If you install the Gigabyte SIV (System Information Viewer) software from the Gigabyte Support web page you can control all your fan and pump speeds through this software.

Hi!

The pump is the one provided with the distroplate. I guess it's an ekwb product. www.ekwb.com/news/o11d-distro-plate-g1-the-result-of-perfect-collaboration-with-lian-li/

I do not have a pwm to molex cable so I did not try that. I tried connecting the pump to the pwm splitter to sata adaper I have.

I need to power up 6 fans as I do have 2 radiators.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom