Puppy toilet training advice.

Associate
Hi all,

Me and my girlfriend decided to get a puppy a few weeks ago. It's not something we rushed into and been talking about it for awhile.

I have had dogs and puppies before and never had much trouble training them but this is my first one on my own that's not been a family dog.

I am having troubles toilet training him he's about 12 weeks now so dicided to get advice.

The first week we had him there was the odd pee accident but generally he was really good and didn't really poo inside. And would regular go outside.

The second week he seems to have got worse we can stand outside with him and he won't go, only to come inside and pee or poo, when he's out there doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything just tends to sit there.

I take him out first thing in morning which is the only time he seems to do regular poo and pee outside now. After that seems totally random. I take him out regularly after naps, play time and eating, and generally when he looks like looks ready to do something. The door is open for him all day and sometimes we will go out and do something.

When he does something outside I prise him and lots of fuss and he gets a treat, if I catch him peeing or pooing I will tell him no and get him outside.

We can start talking him for walks next week which I am hoping will help a bit.

Also the people who we got him off used to use puppy training pads which I think has been encouraging him to pee inside cause when they are down he tends to pee on them but I trying to get away from using them cause worried he won't learn to pee outside.

He also seems to pee in his bed a lot.

Is it a case of just carry on with what I am doing I realise he still quite young and just starting get more control.

Any advice or tips would be welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi all, thanks for the tips and advice sorry for the slow reply he been keeping me busy .

Some of the issues was my fault after the first week, I thought it would be easy training him and I got too complaint and lazy. Also people have been looking after him who maybe wasn't maybe doing the same things as me, I think it set him back. I was also getting annoyed and stressed which didn't help. So been working on that.

I had a really bad day with him think it was Monday where I was constantly taking him out only for him to come inside and do his bidness.

But since then it's been much better. He got better with the "out"command. I am watching him a lot more.
If I think he's ready to do something I tell him out and he's going out. As I was writing this he did a cheeky pee but I told him no and out, he then ran outside.

I have got rid of the pads now, I think it was confusing him. I also see any accidents as that and opportunities to teach him.

More advice needed I was wanting to create train Him. But as soon I put it up he seemed to know what it was and it stressed him out. I feel like the people we got him off used a create in the wrong way.

He has been sleeping with us but most nights he will pee on the bed. It's not like he can't hold his bladder either cause after his first pee on the bed he can go rest of night without doing anything. So feels like its a terrority thing as he's never once peed on the sofa.

What is the best way to stop this. I Have looked up stuff on YouTube but they always make it seem so easy.

Back
Top Bottom