Purchase without a test drive?

Soldato
Would you purchase a volkswagen franchise approved vehicle without being able to do a test drive? Car is an 18 plate with 2 year warranty.

Covid seems to have closed the dealerships so test drives are out of the window; just wondering will this be the the new normal for the foreseeable?

Car seems in fantastic condition and would still do a visible check; I know you can return/reject the car within a 14 day period and they activley said its a no squibbles return period but still would no doubt be a lot of hassle and still have a niggling doubt.

Underboss
well,

for 1 its only 2 years old
2nd its still under warranty
3 make sure you get it in writing that its not been inspected when you pay for the car and make sure you get it in writing it comes with a 2 year warranty etc

Also, print of the advert first, soon as you pay for the car they will take the advert down

but as said above test drive always yes, but in this case, its not possible, just make sure you go over it when delivered and make sure you write down on their paperwork "not checked" or something

Soldato
OP
Is it anything special apart from being new to you? Is it particularly cheap?

If it’s a no and no then yes I’d take it.

Well it's priced well and doesn't seem to be too many at the price point that are franchise approved. Its only special in the sense I've wanted one for a while and new role at work means I can make the leap

If you'd asked this a year ago I'd say you were mad and you must 100% test drive it before purchasing, but these are weird and wonderful times :)

Exactly. I've always test drove and something the old man drove into me! Even though heart is saying go for it, may need to be sensible and see how covid pans out

Associate
I did exactly that back in September. Felt wrong in a way as I've always bought privately and always had a test drive previously but we agreed up front that if I arrived to pick it up and it wasn't right in any way then I would walk (and be refunded). I had paid for it in full up front too - which was also totally alien!

It went smoothly on the day and, touch wood, everything's been ok so far. Not sure I'd recommend it but, obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Soldato
Assuming you've driven an example of the same car, know you like it and can pick up any issues on delivery then yes I guess I would given the age of the car, but would be particularly clear on condition described and what you considered this to mean.

As above keep a full copy of the advert

Soldato
I got my last 4 cars without a test drive, not even viewing them in the metal. I find the internet and YouTube provides me enough information to make a decision.

Man of Honour
Some of the places doing click and deliver are now doing 14 day no quibble money back as long as the car is in the same condition it was delivered in - though I can imagine the actual quality of that service will vary place to place. (It is probably somewhat law with a transaction of this nature anyway but some are making a big deal of it).

VW's Das Welt program is usually pretty good but I've had issues with it before.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've bought a couple of cars where I sat in on a test drive, due to no insurance cover. Both served me well.

Would probably want at least that, though a franchise approved used car is less of a gamble than my private purchases.

Associate
I expect if you pay for the goods outwith the showroom then you probably have a 14 day cool off period. I know back in the day when people were buying kitchens the ploy was to get them to come into the store to pay and sign on the dotted line as you lost your cancellation rights compared to if you had signed up in your house.

Back
Top Bottom