Purchased a lemon , any comeback?

Soldato
OP
Another important question to ask is why/how you didn't see or realise any of these faults when you viewed the car? Did you even test drive it?

Did you miss the part when i said i'm an idiot? I went to view the car and it was in big warehouse with maybe 60 other cars and it was 4 cars deep it had took me twice as long to get there due to traffic and they were close to closing. The guy got the key, opened the door with the physical key and started the car right away. Now i thought nothing of this and just assumed he was showing me the engine running . What he was really doing was making sure the alarm didnt go off, once the engine is running you can open all doors bonnet etc and the alarm wont go off. When i was there the exhaust sounded ok, a little louder than expected but i thought that was due to being indoors and as there were cars next to it caused the sound to bounce off the cars. However it didn't sound anywhere as bad as it did when it arrived.

I didn't check the brakes or oil etc as it had been MOT'd the day before and it had been serviced 3000 miles before. And as i asked him if there were any problems with it and he said no i took his word for it unfortunately.

Soldato
Don't get it reMOTd! If it somehow passes (which it may well do as all the problems seem to relate to quality issues) the dealer may be able to use this against you as evidence the car is roadworthy. When you say the car has "service history" I'm assuming that isn't full service history? Did you check the previous MOT history online? What were the advisories in the latest MOT?

Do what the poster said a few posts back - take it a mechanic to get a "health check" and get him to put everything he's told you down on a piece of paper as a fault.

You also paid a lot of money for that car. I paid £2400 about 2.5 years ago for a 2005 Mini Cooper S on 70k miles in near perfect condition with nearly every option on it.

May I suggest that next time you go and see a car, you take a friend who knows about cars. It's very sweet you were excited about getting the car you your girlfriend but unfortunately your excitement has meant that you've overpaid, and missed many many obvious faults.

Soldato
Did you miss the part when i said i'm an idiot? I went to view the car and it was in big warehouse with maybe 60 other cars and it was 4 cars deep it had took me twice as long to get there due to traffic and they were close to closing. The guy got the key, opened the door with the physical key and started the car right away. Now i thought nothing of this and just assumed he was showing me the engine running . What he was really doing was making sure the alarm didnt go off, once the engine is running you can open all doors bonnet etc and the alarm wont go off. When i was there the exhaust sounded ok, a little louder than expected but i thought that was due to being indoors and as there were cars next to it caused the sound to bounce off the cars. However it didn't sound anywhere as bad as it did when it arrived.

I didn't check the brakes or oil etc as it had been MOT'd the day before and it had been serviced 3000 miles before. And as i asked him if there were any problems with it and he said no i took his word for it unfortunately.

No, I didn't miss that bit - but surely you should have test driven the car before agreeing to pay?

Soldato
No, I didn't miss that bit - but surely you should have test driven the car before agreeing to pay?

Not everyone is a car expert. That is why the law exists. Yes, the OP should have done xyz and hopefully he's going to learn from this but don't you think he's worked that out already?

Car dealers prey on people who don't do all the checks and they're very good at setting up situations to take advantage. It's their bread and butter.

Soldato
Not everyone is a car expert. That is why the law exists. Yes, the OP should have done xyz and hopefully he's going to learn from this but don't you think he's worked that out already?

Car dealers prey on people who don't do all the checks and they're very good at setting up situations to take advantage. It's their bread and butter.

I completely understand that, but surely its understood by anyone who's in the position to buy a used car that a test drive is part and parcel of the buying procedure/experience?

Like you say, hopefully the OP is learning from this and won't get stung again - its never nice to hear about.

Associate
1) when you visited it, didn't you notice the noise during the test drive? Didn't the alarm go off when you looked at the car?
if it was ok during your test drive then what has changed since? I'm confused, as many of the issues should have been noticeable during a quick check of the car, so I assumed it was just bought online, but you've mentioned actually viewing the car. ?!?

*edit* ignore above - seen others have posted about test drive and that there wasn't one... *edit*

2) Assuming it's a dealer (as mentioned) you have 30 days to return the car, so just do it. Do not use it. Don't pay anyone anything to fix or look at anything. If you pay anything to get something fixed, it's arguable that you've accepted the goods (a trap I got into, with a lemon I got years ago). There's enough evidence to suggest it would fail an MOT and it's arguably not roadworthy. Phone the dealer and say that you want to return it, and then discuss with them whether it will need to be trailered back or driven (but I think you'll have to cover this cost, just to get it done). https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

Soldato
Some slightly wrong advice in above post. You need a third party to confirm issues and date of check with car milage shown, it needs to be carried out by a mechanic and presented as an invoice/report. You'll be able to claim the cost of this back if you end up in court.

Do this before contacting them again.

Do not let them touch the car before this.

Soldato
:rolleyes:

Please stop posting in Motors. All you seem to bother to post is idiotic spam and it helps nobody.
I will post where i like thanks. What spam?
Anyway you posted saying people are wrong about the MOT rules. So which bit are they wrong about oh enlightened one. All the post above yours said was you cant drive a dangerous car, which you cant.

Caporegime
So you can drive a dangerous car on the road. Gotcha.

I think he is inferring to the point that regardless of MOT or not, road worthiness is a different matter altogether.

You were never allowed to drive a dangerous car after an MOT, however the new rules have added a few checks and put faults into classes to make it clearer on what's dangerous or not.

Man of Honour
yer - ok stupid / badly worded post.

I was referring to the rules that allow a garage to block you from driving a dangerous car away to get fixed (or returned) if it still has a valid MOT.

No, you can't legally drive an unroadworthy car on the road, although you used to be able to take it to another garage to get fixed if it failed an MOT iirc

Soldato

I was referring to the rules that allow a garage to block you from driving a dangerous car away to get fixed (or returned) if it still has a valid MOT.

No, you can't legally drive an unroadworthy car on the road, although you used to be able to take it to another garage to get fixed if it failed an MOT iirc

Your first bit is correct, block you from driving, though technically they have no legal power the most they can do is phone the police and advise you not to.
Second bit, you still can and always have been able to take it to another garage it just needs towing or collecting on a loader.

Soldato

You've never been allowed to drive a dangerous car away from an MOT centre, this is what they clarified with the new failure bandings. You are entitled to remove your car from the premises though as they can't stop you from taking it away, for example, on a trailer.
You can still drive a failed car away from a test centre (provided it doesn't have a dangerous failure item) as before to take it to be repaired and then to return to the test centre.

Soldato
You've never been allowed to drive a dangerous car away from an MOT centre, this is what they clarified with the new failure bandings. You are entitled to remove your car from the premises though as they can't stop you from taking it away, for example, on a trailer.
You can still drive a failed car away from a test centre (provided it doesn't have a dangerous failure item) as before to take it to be repaired and then to return to the test centre.
So you acuse me of spamming about this and then go and repeat my post. I thought we all had it all wrong. Lol

Soldato
OP
Just to let everyone know I got a full refund. Are RAC inspections good? As I'm thinking of getting one on the replacement car, as i dont want the same to happen again!

Back
Top Bottom