Purchasing online when your smartphone is broken

Soldato
I dropped my smartphone the other day and it broke the screen badly. Sucks, but it happens. So I've ordered a replacement. And I got an approval request, for which I had to use my smartphone. Fortunately my phone was sufficiently usable to approve the request, but what if it had not? I'd be stuck, wouldn't I? Or is there a workaround?

Caporegime
Hello good Sirs,

I am shop, perfect for technology and mobile telephony requirements all fillfulled with rapid delivery direct to your door.

We offer many payment options, cash, cheque, money transfer (MoneyGram, NOT Western Union they are SCAM #1!!!!!!), bankers draft, Solo debit, visa debit, MasterCard debit, VIsa credit, mastercard credit, PayPal (gift), Americans Express, various cryptocurrency. All transactions are TLS 1.0 secure valid and no intercept able.

We ONLy deliver to card holder address so rest assured there is no funny business with us and full security.

We look forward to your order Sirs,

Thank you.

Soldato
there must be a workaround...probably phoning them and answering security/backup questions...I've had that with a phone linked to a bank account that died (the phone died :p)

Last edited:
Commissario
I dropped my smartphone the other day and it broke the screen badly. Sucks, but it happens. So I've ordered a replacement. And I got an approval request, for which I had to use my smartphone. Fortunately my phone was sufficiently usable to approve the request, but what if it had not? I'd be stuck, wouldn't I? Or is there a workaround?
Iirc it used to be with verified by visa you could get the message sent to your registered email

Soldato
Following mid-gen's purchase of hardware security keys - more problematic issue maybe what happens if your phone gets stolen/cloned

Was listening to r4 program today describing how apple are helping
and wondering what the serious security precautions should be.
Use Stolen Device Protection on iPhone
With iOS 17.3 or later, you can use Stolen Device Protection to protect against the rare instance when someone has stolen your iPhone and knows your passcode. Stolen Device Protection prevents the person from performing critical device and Apple ID account operations (like changing your device passcode or Apple ID password) by requiring biometric authentication with Face ID or Touch ID with no passcode fallback.

When Stolen Device Protection is turned on, more sensitive operations require a Security Delay: a successful Face ID or Touch ID, an hour wait, then an additional successful biometric authentication. Security Delay helps prevent someone from making changes to settings that can lock you out of your iPhone or Apple ID account. These measures help protect your device and account, and give you more time to turn on Lost Mode using the Find My app or Find Devices on iCloud.com

If my phone were smashed, well can just move sim to an older device - or ask a friend to temporarily host your sim ?

Caporegime
Everything is on phones eID in sweden by i still have a bank account with a chip and pin card reading dongle thingy and you can have a set of back up codes issued when your bank 1st set it up. Both those methods work for transactions or worst case scenarios change the device.
Keep your back up **** safe :p

I doubt UK banks are any different now...

Man of Honour
Probably just need to change the MFA settings to use some alt method like email or whatever. Maybe even text, as some mobile providers let you do SMS via a web interface.

ALD

ALD

Associate
Yes it's called keeping one of your old phones as a backup.

Man of Honour
Not always that straightforward though as it might require SMS validation and the current sim card might be a different format than that supported by the old phone. You can get convertors and stuff but that all takes time if you don't have it to hand.

Back
Top Bottom