Putting Ethernet throughout the house - advice please!

Soldato
Hi guys, with a small home improvement project looming I wanted to run some cable around the house and put in some rj45 sockets in key places to lessen WiFi load.

Is it worth getting cat 7, or is this overkill? I cant seem to find wall plates for cat 7 anyway?

I have a homehub 5.0 and an 8 port switch. I assume I have to put plugs on one end of the cables where the hub/switch will be, then cables disappear under the floor etc, and then chase them into walls and wall plates in desired locations.

Any advice gratefully received! Also, please ask questions because I'm.not sure how clear I have been! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're willing to go to the effort of running cables then do it.

As above don't underestimate the number of outlets you'll want long term.

Cat5e UTP or Cat6 UTP will be fine, I'd tend towards Cat6 as the cost difference is minimal. Use decent cable and accessories, Excel and Connectix are both safe bets.

There have been many similar threads on this forum so look back at some of those if you can.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys. I admit I didn't see the benefit of a panel, but actually it makes sense now... I'll try and find some.inspiration of how to get a panel fixed to a wall that is not intrusive!

As for home plugs - I have one pair but it's very limiting!

Soldato
OP
Right - new question.

I have a BT homehub 5 which goes straight into master socket via DSL cable. Thing is, it's not where it's most convenient. Would a longer DSL cable under the floor (up to 3-5m to where the network switch and potential patch panel will be) degrade the broadband signal or do you guys think this would be minimal? I can always just leave the hub by the master socket, but then I have unused ethernet ports going to waste!

Soldato
Done properly it'll make very little difference. If your master socket has an internal filter you can hardwire the extension (Cat5e or CW1803) to the provided IDC terminals.

You can try it with a longer cable before you go to the trouble of running it under the floor.

Soldato
OP
Done properly it'll make very little difference. If your master socket has an internal filter you can hardwire the extension (Cat5e or CW1803) to the provided IDC terminals.

You can try it with a longer cable before you go to the trouble of running it under the floor.

The master socket is one with the internal filter (it's got the phone line and DSL socket). I'm intrigued about wiring a cat 5e (or 6??) But isn't that tampering with BT stuff? And then I'd need to turn it back to a DSL where the hub is...

Soldato
The terminals you use are on your side of the socket. They are part of the removable section that exposes the test port.

At the other end you can connect an RJ45 socket. An RJ11 fits into an RJ45.

Soldato
You take a length of solid core cable (usually Cat5e or CW1308, Cat6 might be too thick) and connect one pair to the terminals in the socket.

At the other end you can connect it to an RJ11 or RJ45 socket, or alternatively crimp a RJ11 plug on.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So having thought this through I'm looking at
  • DSL patch cable cat5e (4m) with rj11 plug from master socket to other side of room and rj11 plug into homehub 5
  • Then connecting Hub to local desktop and server and pi-hole and then with 4th port, connect to unmanaged switch.
  • Switch to 24port patch panel with following cat6 cable runs...
  • 4 runs to a 4 port faceplate in lounge (4x10m)
  • 2 runs to each of 3 bedrooms (2 port faceplate in each) (4x5m, 2x8m)
  • 2 runs out to garage (2x8m)
  • Maybe 2 runs to kitchen (2x3m)
So I guess I'll need a 100m spool... I've overestimated lengths cos *** happens!
To be honest I can only see me making use of 2 ports in the lounge.. but as kids grow, I figure bedrooms might benefit from networking... At least I can future proof.

Shopping list:-
100m cat6
A small length of cat5e (or simply a long DSL cable)
Cat 6 patch panel (24port)
Wall mount frame (1U)
4 port cat6 wall plate
5x 2port cat 6 wall plate.

What am I missing? I'm afraid I've planned something too expensive to be honest, considering I'm only using 2 runs (TV and sky box)! :D

Soldato
Add some 1mm wire string for pull threads for when you want to replace cables. Those cable lengths seem a tad optimistic, but you're quite right to double up.

You might consider more ports for the lounge. Apart from the 4 by the TV (have a switch there too), you might have a pair in another corner

Soldato
OP
It's a small bungalow with loft conversion planned so distances are not massive really...
As for the wall plates - I imagine I need to put in mounting boxes into the wall too!

Soldato
You'll need a punch down tool for the faceplates (Krone, or possibly 110 depending on which faceplates you buy).

A decent cable stripper (Cyclops) will make life easier, as will a basic cable tester.

If you're thinking of putting plugs onto anything you'll need a crimp tool as well.

Soldato
OP
This is true... So I'm finding lots of UTP cat6... Is unshielded ok, or should I look for FTP / shielded to run around the house?

Edit: I assume this cable (CMP-FTP6R100S) will do me??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom