Putting graphics cards back together- thermal tape?

Soldato
Hi,

I need to put the stock heatsink back on a graphics card. I believe single-sided thermal tape is the sensible choice for this- stick it onto the heatsink then screw the heatsink back onto the card.

no one seems to sell single-sided thermal tape though, only double sided. I'm concerned that this could lead to pulling the ram chips off the card when I take it apart later.

Should I get the double sided stuff and hope for the best, or use something like MX-2 despite the poor contact between chip and heatsink that may result?

Associate
I have always used mx-2 or other paste on the main core has always done the job fine , everytime i have taken stock coolers off it has had paste on the core so is what i have replaced it with .
The pads are normaly for the memory and phase regulators.

what card do you have ? try to google it to get a lay out of the pcb and where to apply paste and pads .

Associate
the need for thermal paste and pads is just a conspiracy made by the people that make them

I run my gpu dye with no heasink or block on and my temps were fine or at least i think they were my gpu died 5 seconds after i turned my computer on for some unrelated reason

Soldato
the need for thermal paste and pads is just a conspiracy made by the people that make them

I run my gpu dye with no heasink or block on and my temps were fine or at least i think they were my gpu died 5 seconds after i turned my computer on for some unrelated reason

im confused as to how this advice helps the OP :p

Try googling "EK thermal pads", they would do the job, and you can secure them in place with a little MX-2.

really? secure them with thermal paste? the ones ive used just hold in place until you screw on the cooler

Associate
im confused as to how this advice helps the OP :p

really? secure them with thermal paste? the ones ive used just hold in place until you screw on the cooler

Uh-oh I've been rumbled!

i would get the EK pads and cut them to size

** No hotlinking, particularly to those of competitors **

Associate

Yes, really...

1. PLACING THERMAL PADS ON PCB. Place thermal pads on chips so that numbers on chips match size of thermal pads. Thermal pad number 1, 2, 3 and 4 will have to be cut by user to match all small power regulation chips (EKWB made sure users have more than enough pads to cover all surfaces that need to be covered to make block fully functional). You can also use small drop of thermal grease on chips to make thermal pads more adhesive.

It's just an option to do so, but since the OP was wanting them to stick in place I thought i'd mention it.

Soldato
OP
Sticking non-adhesive pads in place with mx2 is clever.

In a fit of impatience i fitted the heatsink back on using arctic ceramique, but will order some of those pads for next time.

It's an 8800gt- previously watercooled and now donated to my better half. She doesn't think water is a good idea in a computer, so i had to put a heatsink back on. It turns out i'd fitted the waterblock with normal tim a few years back, so tim will probably be ok this time too.

Cheers for the advice & for the joke :)

Back
Top Bottom