Q about insurance and lock types

Associate
Looking at a home buildings/contents policy quote and not sure what to put for the lock type question. I'm getting some general quotes on comparison websites so it isnt practicable to ring them all up at this stage.

I have a wooden rear door (5 bolt lever deadlock) from my kitchen that goes into a small rear porch (about 6ft by 4ft). This porch wasn't part of the original build and was there when I purchased. The porch has a modern upvc door (multipoint locking) that leads outside.

What would you declare to be the lock type for the 'rear external door?' Is it the lock on the wood door in my kitchen that originally led outsode and technically leaves the main house, or the porch door that physically leads to the garden?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Is there a section for lock types for porch doors ? if yes then i would put he kitchen door as rear, but would check this before committing to any insurance.

Other option is to do 2 quotes

Associate
OP
They're very general questions on these compare sites. I guess I could try both answers, then chose the best few quotes, then ring the companies to clarify before I commit.

If its wrong then there's a ready made excuse for them not to pay out of course.

Soldato
My experience was that the comparison sites wanted loads of information on locks but when I then clicked through to look at actual insurers who offered the best quotes or went direct to compare quotes most didn’t care about the lock type or even ask. YMMV

Caporegime
They're very general questions on these compare sites. I guess I could try both answers, then chose the best few quotes, then ring the companies to clarify before I commit.

If its wrong then there's a ready made excuse for them not to pay out of course.

Which is why you call/contact them before taking it out???

Associate
My experience was that the comparison sites wanted loads of information on locks but when I then clicked through to look at actual insurers who offered the best quotes or went direct to compare quotes most didn’t care about the lock type or even ask. YMMV
Same here, Sheila's Wheels did not care what locks I had, or even if I had a house alarm or not ?!

Permabanned
What gets me is that all of these questions are irrelevant. Watch a few youtube videos and you realise that any idiot can break in through a lock no matter how many bolts it has. Most burglars are opportunist, you left the door open, but if yours is a pro then you are screwed no matter how many widgets you have.

Soldato
What gets me is that all of these questions are irrelevant. Watch a few youtube videos and you realise that any idiot can break in through a lock no matter how many bolts it has. Most burglars are opportunist, you left the door open, but if yours is a pro then you are screwed no matter how many widgets you have.

They can ask you and profile your risk according to their data.

Or they can not ask you about your locks and profile you with all the other information you gave them.

It's nothing personal, it's just the data points they've chosen to use.

Back
Top Bottom