• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q: Ryzen 9700X max GPU resolution?

ElT

ElT

Associate
Don't know if anybody will know but does no harm to ask. Thinking of a 9700X for a non-gaming system. Desktop, Office, that sort of thing. Would be marvellous don't you know if I could build this without a discrete GPU. But my monitor is a big boy - 5120x2160. It's capped at 60Hz over Display Port.

Anyone know if the inbuilt GPU on the 9700X can drive that by itself? I imagine it's the same as the 7700X but I don't know if that can, either.

Appreciate any replies!

Thanks. Do I need to be wary of motherboards that couldn't support that or is it all about the CPU?

Thanks. Do I need to be wary of motherboards that couldn't support that or is it all about the CPU?
I'd definitely check the board specs carefully, it might even be worth firing off an email, since putting lower spec outputs on the board than it can actually support has been a thing for awhile.

Reactions: ElT
Is it not massive overkill for a desktop machine unless you’re working on absolutely massive spreadsheets or rendering videos, CAD or something like that?

Is it not massive overkill for a desktop machine unless you’re working on absolutely massive spreadsheets or rendering videos, CAD or something like that?
Honestly, this monitor might just be the best technology investment I have made since I upgraded my ZX Spectrum from 16K to 48K. It's fantastic. No more multi-monitor or weird headaches from swivelling my eyes between them, I have an awesome grid layout for my work which can have chat client top right, emails lower right, VS Code on the right, essentially a portrait monitor for code, and in the centre I can have two browser windows - one just for local output and the upper one for reference. You can go an hour without having to switch a single window.

And yes, on occasion I work on some massive spreadsheets. ;)

I'd definitely check the board specs carefully, it might even be worth firing off an email, since putting lower spec outputs on the board than it can actually support has been a thing for awhile.
That's a really good suggestion. When I've narrowed down a motherboard I'll email their support and see what they say. I've seen ones that support 4K at higher than 60Hz so I hope that means I could get my 5K2K monitor working at 60Hz. But the motherboard spec might just be about the version of DP it supports without implying that the CPU can do it. I was waiting for the new boards to appear though I understand there isn't actually that much difference.

In extremis, I can look for a very low-power GPU and will take recommendations. Would be a shame if I have to, though.

Thanks, @Aretak . I've pretty much made up my mind at this point to go for a 9700X. I barely game and when I do it's more on the Rogue end of things than, uh, whatever is a popular big game right now. The performance isn't going to be much different than a 7700X but I'll like having it be so low-power. Being able to skip the GPU is going to mean this thing runs really light. Now just have to decide whether to wait for the new motherboards or pick up something current generation.

The performance isn't going to be much different than a 7700X but I'll like having it be so low-power.
In TPU's testing, the 7700 non-X beat it at single threaded efficiency and was just a bit behind in multi threaded efficiency. If it gets the kind of price cuts that have been available elsewhere in the world, worth considering.

I was considering the 9700x for a non gaming set up also, but I don't think the idle or even the low idle usage let alone the max wattage temps are that great if anything the 9700x is probably overkill for general office/surfing duties.

I would look for motherboards with the ability to flash new bios without a cpu/ram just to avoid any potential headache.

Asrock motherboards are better for supporting 4K 120hertz, the other manufacturers tend to do 4K/60hertz so check the hdmi/dp specs.

Also other things to consider if you use dual monitor screens, you probably will be capped at 4k 60 hertz on both screens so when you see some mobos saying 4k/144hz you may not get that 144hz if using 2 screens, I found this out the hard way with an meteor lake mini pc.

A separate gpu would probably have the grunt to do 4K 120hertz dual but then energy wattage goes up more with 120 vs 60hertz.

I believe the gpu is exactly the same as the 7700x.

here's what my MB says about 7700X/9700X iGPU
DP would easily do 5120x2160@60, but not HDMI
1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 3840x2160@144 Hz
* Support for DisplayPort 1.4 version and HDR.
1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60 Hz
* Support for HDMI 2.1 version and HDCP 2.3.
** Support native HDMI 2.1 TMDS compatible ports.

Back
Top Bottom