Q9650 E0 Testing

Soldato
Just got a Q9650 tonight to have a play with :)

FPO L822B363
Pack date 8/13/08
VID 1.2375

Ive been very happy with my E8600 but i may have to keep this. My big problem is my mobo, i cant boot with over 465 FSB evem with a lower multi. I may have to try a P45 board.

Not been running long, but looks promising. Smokes my old QX9650 which took 1.45 to be stable at 4Ghz.

Last edited:
looking good dude:D

What cooling you running?

Running a d-tek fuzion and tc 120.3. My water cooling is in poor condiiton atm, really needs a service. Im sure this temps would be achievable on good air from what ive seen with other Q9650's of this batch.

1.26v for 4.1ghz, good effort on the overclock :D
you upped the NB voltage much? might be worth trying that if you haven't already to get higher fsb.

(i'm assuming you have 465 on stock nb is unlikely!) ;)

NB is at 1.51, i think these x38's are too clever with 45nm quads.

Looking to get one of these....did you get them from OCUK ?
Would be nice to know which batch they have ;)

I got it from over the pond. Nice price too, nearer the Q9550. :)

gonna get a P5Q delux or Maximus II and hopefully get 500FSB+

Nice clock but really can't see why a 6% rise in clock speed over the Q9550 and the 9x multiplier are really worth over 60% more on the price :confused:

I agree, i wasnt trying to sell it to anyone, it was just for people interesting in overclocking these, i.e in the overclocking forum.

Though ive not seen many huge clocks with the Q9550's ? Maybe these are binned higher ?

Ordered one of these to replace my low vid Q6600 with one of these :)
Like the sound of an easy 4.0Ghz, even though i'll not notice the extra speed ;)
Just fancy a change and i like the higher multiplier compared to Q9550 too.

They are nice, i just wish my motherboard would hit 500FSB. I sort of fancy 4.5Ghz now 4.0Ghz is so easy :)

Run some stabilty testing today.

Last edited:
Just ordered a Q9650 to replace my Q6600. Could not resist with the price I got it for! :D

Will serve me just fine for the time being until the i7 prices come down over the next year.

Will be interesting to see how far I can push my Maximus board with this chip, never went any further than 450fsb (which was completely stable with my 6600) and im sure I can get more fsb out of it.

If I can get to around 4.2Ghz that would be sweet!

:)

I think the maximus may be holding mine back, i want to try a P5Q but Im running crossfire.

I didnt really have to tweak anything much to get to 4ghz

Extreme Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner : Manual
OC From CPU Level Up : AUTO
CPU Ratio Control : 9
- Ratio CMOS Setting :
FSB Frequency : 333
FSB Strap to North Bridge :
PCI-E Frequency: 101
DRAM Frequency: DDR2- 1068
DRAM Command Rate : 2
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency : 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay : 5
RAS# Precharge : 5
RAS# ActivateTime : 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay : AUT0
Row Refresh Cycle Time : AUT0
Write Recovery Time : AUT0
Read to Precharge Time : AUT0

Read to Write Delay (S/D) : AUT0
Write to Read Delay (S) : AUT0
Write to Read Delay (D) : AUT0
Read to Read Delay (S) : AUT0
Read to Read Delay (D) : AUT0
Write to Write Delay (S) : AUT0
Write to Write Delay (D) : AUT0
DRAM Static Read Control: AUT0
Ai Clock Twister : LIGHT
Transaction Booster : OFF

CPU Voltage : 1.2315
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5
North Bridge Voltage : 1.26
DRAM Voltage : 2.1
FSB Termination Voltage : 1.26
South Bridge Voltage : AUTO
Loadline Calibration : ENABLED
CPU GTL Reference : AUTO
North Bridge GTL Reference : AUTO
DDR2 Channel A REF Voltage : AUTO
DDR2 Channel B REF Voltage : AUTO
DDR2 Controller REF Voltage : AUTO
SB 1.5V Voltage : AUTO

NB LED Selection : NB Volt
SB LED Selection : SB Volt
CPU LED Selection : CPU VOlt
Voltiminder LED :

CPU Spread Spectrum : Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum : Disabled

Advanced CPU Configuration
CPU Ratio Control : Manual
- Ratio CMOS Setting :
C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Disabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled

USB Configuration
USB Functions: Enabled
Legacy USB Support : Disabled

Those settings look to be for 9 x 333 = 3.0Ghz....i.e. standard speed.

Correct, should have read.

FSB Frequency : 445
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333

i was going off memory.

For some reason im having some stability problems @4Ghz.

What bios are you using?

Ive tried the 1207 maximus bios and the rampage 0410, results were the same for both.

Ive now tried an Asus P5Q Deluxe and suprisingly its not as stable as my Maximus formula. Its needs more vcore to be stable at 4ghz.

Last edited:
Ive not got any further with it because this P5Q is a dissapointment, i thought the P45's were supposed to be the FSB kings.

I'm might try another board before i sell this and move on to my next chip, but im busy trying to get my priest to lvl 70 in WoW atm lol.

Got my chip prime stable now @4Ghz with 1.3v so quite happy with that. Seems the limiting factor is my motherboard as I had to bump up the volts on the NB quite a bit to get it stable.

Thats seems quite high volts for that clock. I think the U.S got the best batches of these where as europe go tthe best E8600's.

Strange I thought the P45's were ment to clock really well. What board are you going for next? Surely your not going to sell your Q9650?

Possibly the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. when they arrive in the shops, some are getting 540+ FSB with 45nm quads on XS but i want to see was the ordinary joe can get first before i believe it.

If that is just hype ill probably have a go with Nehalem.

Will have to keep my eyes open about that Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. How much does it retail for?

As for Nehalem I could not give a monkeys about that yet - far to expensive for what you get. Better off waiting a year til bugs/refreshes come out.

:)

Looks like it will retail around £110-120, a bargain if the hype is correct.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2919

The main difference over other motherboard is it 2oz copper PCB (all other boards are 1oz) whether this equals extra FSB and stablitlity time will tell.

Installed a UD3P tonight and at last ive managed to boot at 500FSB with my Q9650 which i couldnt get near with my Asus boards. (booted @ 515x6)

Ive left nearly everything on auto in the bios (which i read most people were doing) which impressed me but then ive just installed easytune and looking at that its raised some of voltages to scary levels:eek: which probably explains the 500FSB.

Its not stable at all, it will run prime small FFT for a few mins before BSOD but blend fails instantly.

So Devious you would recommend that I get a UD3P then?

Seen them about they are only about £115.

I need to ditch my X38. :D

Ive only had an hour on it so far but first impressions are good and it is way more stable than the Asus P5Q. :)

It boots at upto 515fsb with 6x muti too but until i can get it stable it doesnt really count. i need to try the latest F5A bios.

Also i need to compare xfire 3D performance against my x38.

I dont think i can get this stable at 500FSB, small fft could be possible but blend fails immediatly. I wondering whether its my ram, i wish i had kept my team xtreme to test with.

I just returned my UD3P today, it just wasn't seem very stable to me even with modest overclocks. lots of freezing/BSOD. Maybe i got a bad one.

Back on my x38, rock solid again

Back
Top Bottom