• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Quad or duo

Associate
I want to be able to run new games at the highest settings for a few years from any new CPU I buy.

Should I go for a quad core (Core 2 Duo Extreme QX6700) or is that quad processor just meant for stuff like 3D rendering and would I be just as well off with something like the Duo E6700?

I plan to be using this alongside x2 GeForce 8800 Ultra's. I have about £2200 to spend on the whole system.

MOD: Please move to CPU section.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What's "G0 Stepping"?

What's a resonable speed that this could be overclocked to? I'm not going to have liquid cooling so I'm not expecting anything crazy.

Associate
OP
Thanks for putting up that spec for me. I like the idea of building it myself but when so much money is involved I really don't want to mess anything up. I'll look into it more and see if I think I could do it.

What would be more futureproof and better for a high-spec gaming system, a top of the range gpu (SLI Nvidia 8800 Ultra OC) or a top of the range CPU (Core 2 Extreme QX6850)?

Back
Top Bottom