Quake II RTX

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Shame whoever implemented the lighting has no clue to the original vision and made it all bright and shiny with no subtlety - the original game was supposed to be dark, moody, gritty with menace, the sky a moody polluted red and the light a stark contrast to the dingy shadows albeit somehow still blending in.

The original game baked in radiosity with heavy use of static indirect lighting and quite intense direct lighting but with limited scattering (even though that might sound kind of wrong).

Caporegime
On the one hand it's pretty cool that old classics are being re-released for modern hardware using the latest GPU technology but on the other it looks like rubbish by today's standards and isn't really a good advertisement for a £300-£1000 GPU.

Then again, if NVidia re-release something like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory even I'd rush out and buy one, even though I have a 1080Ti that still laughs at anything I throw at it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Although not many RTX games are available so far, this one does definitely interest me. Quite impressed with the difference. I hope AMD implement ray tracing into their cards before too long to help drive the prices down a little.

Soldato
Might be nearly 22 years old, but still has the best set of maps for a 4v4.

Roll on June 6th, if people are playing mp it might be time to learn to ride the bike again.:)

Man of Honour
Might be nearly 22 years old, but still has the best set of maps for a 4v4.

I still mod the game for my own amusement even today - with the latest map compile tools can even get somewhat reasonable looking graphics out of it without a render update, etc.

Soldato
Shame whoever implemented the lighting has no clue to the original vision and made it all bright and shiny with no subtlety - the original game was supposed to be dark, moody, gritty with menace, the sky a moody polluted red and the light a stark contrast to the dingy shadows albeit somehow still blending in.

The original game baked in radiosity with heavy use of static indirect lighting and quite intense direct lighting but with limited scattering (even though that might sound kind of wrong).
They implemented dynamic time of day so the lightning will depend on that

Associate
OP
It must be 15+ years since I lasted played Quake II, hence I have totally forgotten the levels etc.
This PC is rocking a RTX 2070 so I figured I'll give it a try (nothing to lose).

Also have a HD version of QII kicking around here downloaded from moddb.com, just never made the time to install and play it.

Man of Honour
It must be 15+ years since I lasted played Quake II, hence I have totally forgotten the levels etc.
This PC is rocking a RTX 2070 so I figured I'll give it a try (nothing to lose).

Also have a HD version of QII kicking around here downloaded from moddb.com, just never made the time to install and play it.

These days once you clear the first few base levels the rest of the game doesn't really live upto the first bit sadly - but it is still one of my favourite games, some great DM maps and mods, etc.

Caporegime
I've never played this since I got rid of my original CD-ROM with the music on (many years ago). It's not the same without it. But this RT version sure does look purdy.

Man of Honour
Should have been RTCW or ET.

Probably because someone had already done a lot of work converting Quake 2's rendering engine to a version that was easier to plug-in advanced features/new APIs, etc. though the singleplayer source for RTCW atleast is released which will probably make it feasible to do at some point.

For a lot of older games they will have to rely on either full source releases and/or studios being prepared and able to work with them which in some cases won't be possible due to developers going defunct or merging, etc. and other IP issues. Doing stuff like reshade and EMB series, etc. to update older games without source access will take a massive amount of hacking to be feasible with proper ray tracing like techniques.

Associate
I'm far more interested in this than whatever COD rehash is coming.
Nvidia, take this idea and flipping run with it! June 22nd 1996 and onwards please!

:D

Back
Top Bottom