Quake II RTX

Man of Honour
It's been a while but aren't shotgun shell casings a slightly darker and much less glossy red?

You get a range but they should really be a bit darker and less glossy - but I'm running into limitations where one step one way goes too dark and the other way too shiny.

EDIT: The other problem is the Strogg atmosphere has very orange/yellow lighting and what looks good under earth lighting doesn't necessarily look right with Strogg lighting.

Last edited:
Associate
Reduce the lip diameter at the top of the brass section. It’s too wide which is making the cartridge lie above the ground at the red end which makes it not look right. If you made it a straight cylinder so it lay flat, you could replicate the effect of the brass lip through the texture instead (like a bump map ?)

Man of Honour
Reduce the lip diameter at the top of the brass section. It’s too wide which is making the cartridge lie above the ground at the red end which makes it not look right. If you made it a straight cylinder so it lay flat, you could replicate the effect of the brass lip through the texture instead (like a bump map ?)

I could rotate it into the rest position - I'm not done in terms of the physics handling but that is a project for another day - the game has no proper physics simulation and I had to fudge some stuff in for ejecting brass so it even looked like it was tumbling and bouncing - I'm trying to avoid using bump maps for [larger] features other than the engraved text for various reasons (including that it is a bit glitchy in Quake 2 RTX due to the age of the underlying engine).

Man of Honour
cIswivB.jpg

Bit closer to what I was trying to get but still not nailing the look I want the brass especially is a bit off.

Soldato
Bit closer to what I was trying to get but still not nailing the look I want the brass especially is a bit off.

Those look pretty good. The only real problem is the third from the left where the base goes into the floor. I was imprecise in my earlier observation about colour: duller is the word I should have used and I think you've almost nailed it here. Just make the base even duller.

Man of Honour
I fudged the final rest position

bL6slzs.jpg

They are slightly floating though - due to lack of coordinate precision in the engine :s

Man of Honour
Sadly running into the limits of my maths ability - having to do lots of fudging because there isn't a proper physics engine in the game and getting them to sort of bounce onto and lie on different angled surfaces (never mind do stuff like rolling down slopes) is with mixed success.

Associate
They wouldnt really roll down hill anyway. The brass lip would mean they roll in a circle, which they would still do on a slope, just that they would come to rest with the brass end pointing down the slope.

If they bounced back and forth a couple of times against their tips, and then settled on the floor with a short roll in a circle shape, that would look realistic enough. Your centre rotation point would need to be about 6-10” away from the open end of the cartridge.

Man of Honour
They wouldnt really roll down hill anyway. The brass lip would mean they roll in a circle, which they would still do on a slope, just that they would come to rest with the brass end pointing down the slope.

If they bounced back and forth a couple of times against their tips, and then settled on the floor with a short roll in a circle shape, that would look realistic enough. Your centre rotation point would need to be about 6-10” away from the open end of the cartridge.

Was including the bullet cases in that - on some sloping surfaces it looks a bit odd that they stop quickly. But I had enough problems making the seeking grenades roll LOL (the game only has step and slide physics).

Man of Honour
Just a bit of fun

2CQTeCX.jpg

Do love Quake 2 + ray tracing.

The minigun turret model is nearly 20 years old :s

(Yeah no collision detection spent casing to spent casing)

Soldato
Awesome!

Is there any news of a RTX Doom 1? I know there was a fake mod a while back but the original is still the best with its swarms of monsters.

Man of Honour
Awesome!

Is there any news of a RTX Doom 1? I know there was a fake mod a while back but the original is still the best with its swarms of monsters.

nVidia has a team working on older games but progress seems to be slow - probably due to the legal aspects - I'm kind of hoping they release an highly abstracted API that makes it easier for modders to plug into older games without having to re-implement the into the 10s of thousands of lines of code it would otherwise take.

Associate
nVidia has a team working on older games but progress seems to be slow - probably due to the legal aspects - I'm kind of hoping they release an highly abstracted API that makes it easier for modders to plug into older games without having to re-implement the into the 10s of thousands of lines of code it would otherwise take.

That'd be quite a clever way of getting people into signing up to GeForce Now. Like, if you sign up, you get to play these older games that we've converted, with RTX on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather they do what they've done with Quake, but it'd make sense

Soldato
nVidia has a team working on older games but progress seems to be slow - probably due to the legal aspects

Given what you've said earlier, I'm guessing that there are two main factors: the redoing of every texture to make them RT-suitable, and finding a way to cut the computational intensity of doing realtime RT for perhaps a hundred imp fireballs.

Soldato
Had a pop with the RTX this morning, since you kept on posting those nice screens. 20 years since i last played it online, completely lost on the dm's. q2.dm8 reminded me a lot of the colours and dark tones of the q3 conversion. Ran flawlessly on the 3090, but it was certainly working overtime.

Man of Honour
Given what you've said earlier, I'm guessing that there are two main factors: the redoing of every texture to make them RT-suitable, and finding a way to cut the computational intensity of doing realtime RT for perhaps a hundred imp fireballs.

With path tracing actually less slowdown with say 100 imp fireballs than if they had dynamic lights - although probably less than ideal visual quality due to the relatively low ray budget and limits of the denoiser vs the complexity of that many different sources of light effecting the environment.

One of the complications with older games is if they have hacky special casing for lighting effects, etc. even if the map source and compile tools are available and/or licensed it is a lot of work - never mind if only the source code for the engine is available. Quake 2 is a different story as the maps use an offline lighting system similar to ray tracing which can easily be replaced.

Associate
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but if anyone can help here it'll be much appreciated! Like DOOM where you can spawn enemies such as summon or summonfriend baron of hell is there anything of the sort for quake 2? I'd love to place monsters in the maps and have a go against them! :D

Back
Top Bottom