Qualifying as an Electrician - on the side

Caporegime
As thread title really. I'm currently (more than) fully employed and was thinking of doing another degree part time but realised actually, something much more useful and interesting to me would be qualifying as an electrician.
I currently have a degree in mechanical engineering which touched quite heavily upon electrical theory however I have 0 practical experience and understand that this is the problem, to earn any qualification I need to get practical experience.
My job's pretty well paid so don't want to be leaving that to go and work as an apprentice for a while, plus have no intentions of leaving it once I'm qualified, so really need to know what I need to do to actually get qualified and whether anyone here has ideas about how I can do it whilst keeping my job up?

Cheers folks!

Soldato
Any reason why? As a mech eng too I can see the advantages of some practical electrical knowledge too but I think wiring up houses etc won't be massively helpful?

Could do an electrical masters degree at open uni??

Caporegime
OP
Any reason why? As a mech eng too I can see the advantages of some practical electrical knowledge too but I think wiring up houses etc won't be massively helpful?

Could do an electrical masters degree at open uni??

Reason why is two fold. Get offshore more easily, something I'm struggling to do at the minute and also property development.
That's sadly why a degree won't help.

Soldato
Night school at college
City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma would fully qualify you. Its expensive but worth it if you need or want it. I did C&G 2330 which is an older qualification i suspect you will fly though level 2 as 70% is working knowledge and safety which you would ace as a mech engi. Level 3 theory side gets more difficult esp when it comes to regs and building control sections but its do-able for apprentices so i can't see why you would struggle

Caporegime
OP
Night school at college
City & Guilds 2365 Course Level 2 & 3 Diploma would fully qualify you. Its expensive but worth it if you need or want it. I did C&G 2330 which is an older qualification i suspect you will fly though level 2 as 70% is working knowledge and safety which you would ace as a mech engi. Level 3 theory side gets more difficult esp when it comes to regs and building control sections but its do-able for apprentices so i can't see why you would struggle

The 2365 is what I was looking at - and it doesn't require any hands on at all?

Could be looking possible!

Soldato
The 2365 is what I was looking at - and it doesn't require any hands on at all?

Could be looking possible!

You do the exams and practicals at night school, From what i believe the 2365 is structured in a way to not need 2 years experience afterwards to get your nvq level 3 as it was partially designed to help people who never finished the old 2330 and older qualifications

You would have to check that really i know you can do level 2 without even picking up a tool. (or could for 2330)

Soldato
Reason why is two fold. Get offshore more easily, something I'm struggling to do at the minute and also property development.
That's sadly why a degree won't help.

You'd also want to do your compex to do electrical offshore.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even dream of looking for a position offshore with the state the industry is in just now.

alx

alx

Soldato
You'd also want to do your compex to do electrical offshore.

In all honesty, I wouldn't even dream of looking for a position offshore with the state the industry is in just now.

Although the thing people are pushing these days is multiskilling.

Back
Top Bottom