Query about the Fractal Nexus fan hub for the Fractal Define 7 case

Associate
Hi all,

I bought a Define 7 recently and according to the instructions the fan hub should be connected to the CPU_FAN or SYS_FAN header so that the case fan speeds can be controlled from bios.
My Asus motherboard does not have SYS_FAN headers only CHA_FANs which I assume are the same thing.

The cpu is currently cooled with an air cooler (Noctua NH-U12S) with the cooler fan connected to the CPU_FAN header.

I've connected the 3 stock case fans that came with the case (2 front, 1 rear, all 3-pin fans) to the hub. The hub itself is powered via PSU.

It seems the fan hub does not send/receive data to the motherboard when I plug it into any CHA_FAN.
The case fans spin at what I assume to be full speed and fan speed data don't show up in the bios at all.

Is this normal or is there a potential issue with the motherboard?

Or is this fan hub is more designed for a water cooling build where you need multiple fans to cool the radiator for the cpu waterblock?

Associate
Hi all,

I bought a Define 7 recently and according to the instructions the fan hub should be connected to the CPU_FAN or SYS_FAN header so that the case fan speeds can be controlled from bios.
My Asus motherboard does not have SYS_FAN headers only CHA_FANs which I assume are the same thing.

The cpu is currently cooled with an air cooler (Noctua NH-U12S) with the cooler fan connected to the CPU_FAN header.

I've connected the 3 stock case fans that came with the case (2 front, 1 rear, all 3-pin fans) to the hub. The hub itself is powered via PSU.

It seems the fan hub does not send/receive data to the motherboard when I plug it into any CHA_FAN.
The case fans spin at what I assume to be full speed and fan speed data don't show up in the bios at all.

Is this normal or is there a potential issue with the motherboard?

Or is this fan hub is more designed for a water cooling build where you need multiple fans to cool the radiator for the cpu waterblock?
I have a Fractal R6 and an Asus X470-F Strix MOBO.

Have 3 case fans connected to the fan hub, and 1 lead going to a motherboard fan socket.

I can control the speeds via the BIOS, which I've set to ramp up based on motherboard temps.

Associate
OP
Mmm.
Assuming your motherboard fan socket you have the lead connected to is a CHA_FAN header, this implies that it's my specific Asus motherboard that doesn't like reading the data from the hub. I have a 4 year old Maximus Gene VIII Mobo, perhaps only newer Asus mobos can use this hub.

Associate
Mmm.
Assuming your motherboard fan socket you have the lead connected to is a CHA_FAN header, this implies that it's my specific Asus motherboard that doesn't like reading the data from the hub. I have a 4 year old Maximus Gene VIII Mobo, perhaps only newer Asus mobos can use this hub.
Do you have PWM fans

Associate
OP
The stock fans that come with the Fractal case are all 3-pin fans not 4-pin PWMs. At the moment, I don't own any other PWM fans to test the hub and motherboard (though I might get some Arctic P14s to do this since they are quite cheap).

Associate
The stock fans that come with the Fractal case are all 3-pin fans not 4-pin PWMs. At the moment, I don't own any other PWM fans to test the hub and motherboard (though I might get some Arctic P14s to do this since they are quite cheap).
That may be the issue then. I have 3x pwm noctua fans. I would recommend setting the fan profile to the motherboard temps if you prefer a quieter system.

Associate
Check the manual. It seems to be that it is the rightmost of the 3 4-pin connectors that transmit the RPM value to the mobo. If you don't have anything connected there, no data for the mobo to display.

Associate
Hi all,

Similar situation here with a slightly different setup:
- Gigabyte z490 vision g motherboard,
- Define 7 case,
- be quiet! Dark Rock slim CPU cooler (Silent Wings 3 120 PWM fan @1,450 rpm)
- no overclocking or gaming.

Just as the OP above, the CPU cooler is connected to the correct (rightmost) 4-pin connector on the Nexus+ 2 hub. The 4-pin cable from the hub is to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard. The stock case fans (non-PWM) are connected to the corresponding 3-pin connectors on the Nexus hub. BIOS only shows the CPU_FAN information and it is correct (approx 1,450rpm). But what about the case fans? They do not appear anywhere yet they're working properly. They are rated @1,000 rpm but are they really turning at that speed or are they at the speed of the CPU cooler fan? I would like a quieter operation and since I'm not going to overclock or game on this machine, this should be possible without any temperature issues. Is there a way to control their speed or do I have to swap them with PWM fans so that I can set them up on a more silent profile?

I know it's a lot of questions but would welcome your advice before engaging in the extra expense.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom