Quest 2, Which WiFi6 Router?

Soldato
Hello,

I'm going to get a Quest 2 (coming from a Rift CV1), Does anyone know at this stage if one of the cheap WiFi6 routers will work with the Quest? I'm thinking Honor Router 3 as this is £30-40 cheaper than the official cable!

Cheers,

Soldato
I might have to look into a Wifi 6 router eventually as even with a range extender, or playing right next to the router I can't get a completely smooth experience when playing Quest 1 over virtual desktop. It's almost there, but still has some jerky controller motion.

Soldato
Guy Godin (the guy who makes virtual desktop) has said that a hotspot from a pcie card won't work as well as a dedicated router.

If you get a router, and then just plug the PC directly into it, it should work well.

Soldato
Guy Godin (the guy who makes virtual desktop) has said that a hotspot from a pcie card won't work as well as a dedicated router.

If you get a router, and then just plug the PC directly into it, it should work well.

I've seen people say that, but can't find where he actually said that, people have reported that Quest 1 works better using a dedicated pcie card, vs. trying to run it over the same cable their PC is trying to use for internet (unplug the cable, connect quest to PC via wifi, reconnect cable to get internet)

wifi6 connects at 1.2Gb/s, pcie 1x 3.0 runs at 1GB/s, gigabit ethernet runs at 1Gb/s, (plus you also usually connect to internet via the same cable), so you are actually creating a bottleneck by using a gigabit ethernet/router

Soldato
@andybird123

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...tanding_my_wifi_hot_spot_for_virtual_desktop/

ggodin
Virtual Desktop Developer
8 points
·
6 days ago
As I’ve said many time, hotspots on your computer will not perform well. It’s recommended to use a proper 5ghz AC or AX router with your computer wired to it with Gigabit Ethernet

Neither the op of that thread, nor he, mention a pcie card being used, nor wifi6,. I've seen loads of people say they get better results with a pcie card, and wifi6 is faster than gigabit ethernet.

I'm willing to give it a go anyway, so we shall see.

Soldato
ggodin
2 points
·
12 hours ago
You won’t get good performance from a hotspot in Windows. It’s best to use a 5ghz AC or AX router connected via Ethernet to your computer

ggodin
6 points
·
17 hours ago
No, I’ve said it many times, hotspots don’t perform as well as a dedicated router. I do not recommending using a hotspot

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQues...le_to_stream_pcvr_games_at/g70t19a/?context=3

***This reply above is in direct response to someone talking about buying PCIe card.****

level 2
ggodin
6 points
·
18 hours ago
Best setup is with a dedicated router with computer wired to it. Hotspots generally don’t perform well

ggodin
4 points
·
2 days ago
Hotspots tend to perform poorly compared to having a dedicated router so using a dedicated router with your computer wired to it with Gigabit Ethernet is the way to go

ggodin
1 point
·
2 days ago
Some dedicated PCI-E cards might perform well however, might be worth a shot, it’s just in general they tend to not work well with sustained data transfers.

Etc
etcetc
etc

I got all these just from checking his comments on Reddit 10% of them seem to be him repeating that dedicated router is better than a hotspot, even when wanting to use a pcie card.

Soldato
Im asking this same question currently in the networking forum.

I don't understand how a 1Gbps ethernet connection, which is then "wifi'd" by the router, can be faster than a wifi6 signal attached directly to your motherboard.

PC --> ethernet cable --> wireless router wifi6 aerial --> Quest2
PC --> internal wifi6 aerial --> Quest 2

How can the first one be better?

Soldato
I'd guess this is the clue: Some dedicated PCI-E cards might perform well however, might be worth a shot, it’s just in general they tend to not work well with sustained data transfers

I'd guess that a router is dedicated to this, it's what it does, and what it's been programmed to do, with dedicated software and processes. And a cable is not that slow.

Soldato
Some motherboards have a direct wifi6 capability though, don't even need an add on card. Struggling to believe that introducing the router hardware into the chain can be quicker than an essentially direct connection straight to your motherboard?

Soldato
Some motherboards have a direct wifi6 capability though, don't even need an add on card. Struggling to believe that introducing the router hardware into the chain can be quicker than an essentially direct connection straight to your motherboard?

You struggle to believe it, OK, but the developer of the virtual desktop software, seems to be pretty convinced. Now maybe he's wrong, but at the moment, I'm thinking I'd probably trust his experience over anyone else right now.

Soldato
You struggle to believe it, OK, but the developer of the virtual desktop software, seems to be pretty convinced. Now maybe he's wrong, but at the moment, I'm thinking I'd probably trust his experience over anyone else right now.

I know that's what he is saying, and I don't have any experience but it doesn't make logical sense so an explanation is needed as to why adding hardware to the chain makes it faster?

How can it not be faster to have a direct to motherboard networking signal? Link is faster because its direct over usb, its the same principle?

Soldato
Yet I've read from users elsewhere that using your computer as a hotspot actually improved wireless for them.

Guess YMMV.
My motherboard has wifi 6 so im willing to give it a go.

Soldato
I know that's what he is saying, and I don't have any experience but it doesn't make logical sense so an explanation is needed as to why adding hardware to the chain makes it faster?

How can it not be faster to have a direct to motherboard networking signal? Link is faster because its direct over usb, its the same principle?

My equally uneducated guess, based on one of the answers above, is that routers are dedicated hardware for sending and receiving signals, whereas a pcie card isn't.

Soldato
My motherboard has wifi 6 so im willing to give it a go.

Id be really interested if you have success in setting up a completely independent wifi6 network using your motherboard wifi6, and at the same time still having your PC connected to the original wifi in your house via ethernet. Would you be willing to try it and see how it works? You could try it before Quest 2 is even out and see if you can connect your phone to it and stream a video over it?

Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWPkHrG5Qw

Tyriel goes through it, suggests that there's not much point going for wifi 6. UploadVR used wifi 6, Tyriel used just a regular 5g wifi. No great difference, both with 22/23ms latency.

I guess if you live in a congested area, or have many 5ghz devices on your router, then wifi6 could be better, since it should help deal with potential latency due to so many devices.

Soldato
I don't quite understand these recent videos.

Guy Godin has made VD work with Quest 2. Over wifi6, it connected at 1200 mbps compared to 866 mbps over 5GHz wifi.

Yet the data rate is still capped at 150 mbps (its not clear whether this will be a future update to VD or not).

Latency as you say is similar between the two.

But presumably both these wifi6 routers are connected over normal 1 Gbps ethernet.

Really needs more examination.

What if you use 2.5G ethernet + wifi 6?
What if you use a direct to motherboard wifi6 and eliminate ethernet completely?
Is Guy Godin going to improve the data rate?

90Hz is working over VD, yet there now seems to be a statement saying Quest 2 will be 72 Hz upon release. Do they mean 72 Hz with VD, or just with native apps and Link (which we already know are limited to 72 Hz).

i don't think they are being very clear in these recent vids.

Soldato
Id be really interested if you have success in setting up a completely independent wifi6 network using your motherboard wifi6, and at the same time still having your PC connected to the original wifi in your house via ethernet. Would you be willing to try it and see how it works? You could try it before Quest 2 is even out and see if you can connect your phone to it and stream a video over it?

It's called bridging and yes it's quite simple to setup. I don't have mobo wifi6 though, it'll be a pcie card.

Back
Top Bottom