Quest 3 owners etc

Soldato
OP
Just bought a very new quest 3, 128gb, showing order placed. Fomo hit hard. The only issue, with the greater comfort and better "sit" on the face, my boy is probably going to want to use it all the time instead of using his q2 :D.

Soldato
Quest 3 optimised games are likely to be much bigger than the Q2 versions.

Redmatter 2 is 9.1gb on Q3 compared to 5.6gb on Q2.

If you're going to be doing a lot of standalone, then the 512gb version is worth it.
What's the betting the 128gb version will be replaced with a 256gb one next year though?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm hoping that given most the size of games ends up being the textures etc (I believe), that as the q3 is not going to be hitting the full 4k experience in standalone (given it doesn't have that many pixels), we won't be seeing the enormous file sizes of some triple A games. Especially as they also tend to be the truly massive games anyway. I think (please correct me) that PC games tend to come with all the different textures for the different resolution options, so a lot of them most people don't use. For q2/q3, the game can simply detect the device, and download only the relevant texture packs, not wasting space on things that won't be used. Potentially, the same could be done with sound/video files with regards to language, auto-detect the device settings, and only download/install the relevant language pack?

Associate
I'm hoping that given most the size of games ends up being the textures etc (I believe), that as the q3 is not going to be hitting the full 4k experience in standalone (given it doesn't have that many pixels), we won't be seeing the enormous file sizes of some triple A games. Especially as they also tend to be the truly massive games anyway. I think (please correct me) that PC games tend to come with all the different textures for the different resolution options, so a lot of them most people don't use. For q2/q3, the game can simply detect the device, and download only the relevant texture packs, not wasting space on things that won't be used. Potentially, the same could be done with sound/video files with regards to language, auto-detect the device settings, and only download/install the relevant language pack?

You won't be seeing games with 100gb+ installs like on PC, however 20gb+ probably won't be unusual for bigger releases.

Medal of Honour was 52gb on Quest 2, however that was the only release I'm aware of to take up that kind of space.

Soldato
OP
You won't be seeing games with 100gb+ installs like on PC, however 20gb+ probably won't be unusual for bigger releases.

Medal of Honour was 52gb on Quest 2, however that was the only release I'm aware of to take up that kind of space.

Wonder what that would be on a q3 with upgraded visuals, another 20? gigabytes? I'm careful with my installs (mostly because I don't buy that much!) on my 64gb, so a 80gb game even, would still leave me enough room to keep pretty much everything I'd want kept on I think. Not too fussed about reinstalling.

Associate
The problem for game developers is that, while a 512GB option is available, many will have a 128GB Quest 2/3. Increasing file sizes will run the risk of excluding users so there is an incentive to keep install sizes as light as possible.

Personally I got the 128GB. I'm not 100% confident in the choice but I just can't justify paying £140 more for storage (not far off a 4TB SSD!)

When I think about it most of the games which I keep coming back to are only a few GB in size. Many games I would just play once and uninstall whereas something like Beatsaber would permanently be installed. Plus with PCVR I would rather play something like medal of honor through link than natively on the Quest.

Associate
Pre-ordered a Q3 128GB, expecting to play 20% to 30% untethered, and then my backlog of PCVR games that have been accumulating.

Pre-ordered a vive, used it for >500 hours or so.
Then got 3x Pico 4's for them all to have wavy lens distortion that gave me bad motion sickness. The clarity was amazing, and wireless PCVR really brilliant, but obviously poor quality as they all varied greatly. All returned.

Looking forwards to Meta quality + Pico 4 resolution & lenses. Should be a potent package.

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone NOT buying a Q3?

That makes two of us, well not buying yet anyway. With Meta's history of dropping prices eg the pro, and all the hype around the launch of the quest 3, its obvious they are going to get as much lolly as they can get.

It is mean in my opinion not to have the base unit storage at 256GB (but then Meta has spent billions on VR research so maybe can't blame them for keeping the launch price high) With 256gb storage on the base unit, I would have considered that ok at £479.

Even with the £479 price if I was to buy at that, with a decent strap and a powerbank plus accidental damage and breakdown from that well known High St store I would be talking about an overall price of around £600.

To be honest I could afford it, but do like to feel I am spending my money wisely.

I am looking forward to the reviews on here when posters do get the headset, I understand its not a light headset, same weight as Quest 2 only with a better centre of gravity as its thinner.

With more competition on the way maybe with the Pico 5, no doubt there will be special offers on the way, later on with the quest 3.

I am not trying to be a party spoiler on here, so the best of luck to you guys who do buy at launch, I will no doubt read with interest all your reviews, and maybe ask a few questions.

In the meantime I will travel merrily along in the slow lane with my Quest 2.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Me for starters, well not yet anyway. With Meta's history of dropping prices eg the pro, and all the hype around the launch of the quest 3, its obvious they are going to get as much lolly as they can get.

It is mean in my opinion not to have the base unit storage at 256GB (but then Meta has spent billions on VR research so maybe can't blame them for keeping the launch price high) With 256gb storage on the base unit, I would have considered that ok at £479.

Even with the £479 price if I was to buy at that, with a decent strap and a powerbank plus accidental damage and breakdown from that well known High St store I would be talking about an overall price of around £600.

To be honest I could afford it, but do like to feel I am spending my money wisely.

I am looking forward to the reviews on here when posters do get the headset, I understand its not a light headset, same weight as Quest 2 only with a better centre of gravity as its thinner.

With more competition on the way maybe with the Pico 5, no doubt there will be special offers on the way, later on with the quest 3.

I am not trying to be a party spoiler on here, so the best of luck to you guys who do buy at launch, I will no doubt read with interest all your reviews, and maybe ask a few questions.

In the meantime I will travel merrily along in the slow lane with my Qiest 2.

:)

History of dropping prices doesn't sit well when viewing it through the q2 lense, where they raised the price by $100. They rarely had many decent offers early on either, took a good 6 months+ I believe.

However, I was very close to sticking with my q2 as well, just the Very good offer that convinced me, since I do want AW2 it made even further sense, since it's a £40 game.

Soldato
I want to get one, but I have a Quest Pro which still has some advantages over the Q3, despite being less powerful. I'm still awaiting to see how different the two are in PCVR.
If you add up the cost of the 512gb version plus an elite strap plus a charging dock you're approaching Pro costs and you still don't have the Pro controllers.

If the base version had 256gb I'd probably go for one. The price of the 512gb is putting me off, even with the various discounts you can do.

I guess I'll be waiting for the full Tested review as Norm does a really thorough job and knows his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom