Question about MOT emissions test...

Associate
One for @JonRGV250 maybe or anyone else with relevant knowldege - I MOT'd my car today, it passed, but the MOT tester said it only just scraped through the emissions test. He said it was hard work getting it to pass it, I could hear him revving the engine quite a bit, not sure if related. He asked if it had a cat, I replied not sure but thinking about it I think it's been decatted iirc what the previous owner told me. He suggested for the next MOT it might be an idea getting a second hand (because of prices) cat fitted as "emissions are getting harder to pass all the time".

What are you thoughts about this? Are they really getting harder each year? I mean, if it passed this year, why not next year? Don't want to spend 100's on something I don't need. I'm keeping the car as I like it and it's given me no trouble so selling it is not an option.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies so far guys/gals. Here's the ad for the car http://carsofsomerset.co.uk/product/2014-vw-golf-r/ which says it has a "Scorpion Decat Pipe" so this is why I assume it has no cat. I don't have the emissions sheet, it passed with no advisories so I only got the pass sheet.

I'm surprised the MOT tester asked me if it had no cat if the law is that one is required, surely he would know this.

Someone's gonna make me feel dumb now I bet and tell me a "decat" still has a cat!

Associate
OP
So it looks like I'll be going shopping for a cat soon in preparation for next years MOT as I don't want to push my luck next MOT time with the garage (been going there for donkeys years always had a good relationship with them). Forgive the noob question I'm about to ask - will I need to buy a whole exhaust with a cat in it or just the part of the exhaust with the cat fitted (which I assume is the down pipe) and fit that to the existing exhaust? I'm going to buy second hand btw.

Associate
OP
First off, check to actually see if it’s got a OE cat\sports cat fitted before anything else.
No point in buying one if it’s already got one fitted, and it’s not a 2 minute job to replace on your car.
I can't check as I literally have no idea what to look for as I'm not good mechanically but the MOT tester asked me if it had a cat so maybe he thinks it hasn't, he should know I guess. The ad for the car states decat pipe so it probably hasn't got 1 I think. I'll keep my eye open for a sports cat and hope it passes the next MOT with one. I think they've done me a favour this MOT time but were implying nope for next time.

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps. I think what I'll do is ring them up within the next few days, explain what they told me (I may need a cat for my next MOT), and ask them if I bring my car to them will they double check there's no cat on it and if there isn't to advise me on the size etc of cat I should go looking for (I'll look for a sports cat). They may charge me or maybe they won't but I don't mind anyway they are a good garage and good people. And get a price for fitting.

Back
Top Bottom