Question about MOT emissions test...

Man of Honour
A 2014 Golf R should fail an MOT with a decat regardless of the numbers from the gas analyser.

Sounds like the tester was lenient and has given you a fair "off the record" warning to get it sorted for next time.

Though the VW dieselgate thing was about diesels it later came to light a small number of ~2014 VW petrols had a similar system in place so maybe the case here maybe. I'm not really aware on details though as it mostly seems a side note.

Associate
OP
First off, check to actually see if it’s got a OE cat\sports cat fitted before anything else.
No point in buying one if it’s already got one fitted, and it’s not a 2 minute job to replace on your car.
I can't check as I literally have no idea what to look for as I'm not good mechanically but the MOT tester asked me if it had a cat so maybe he thinks it hasn't, he should know I guess. The ad for the car states decat pipe so it probably hasn't got 1 I think. I'll keep my eye open for a sports cat and hope it passes the next MOT with one. I think they've done me a favour this MOT time but were implying nope for next time.

Man of Honour
I can't check as I literally have no idea what to look for as I'm not good mechanically but the MOT tester asked me if it had a cat so maybe he thinks it hasn't, he should know I guess. The ad for the car states decat pipe so it probably hasn't got 1 I think. I'll keep my eye open for a sports cat and hope it passes the next MOT with one. I think they've done me a favour this MOT time but were implying nope for next time.

Though there are some backstreet type places who'll still do it, I have my doubts they passed it without, they are under much more scrutiny these days.

I dunno what the underside of a Golf R of that era looks like, in terms of plates or trays which might obscure the pipes, but I'd imagine if you got a photo of the exhaust running under the car it would be fairly obvious if it is at least physically there, though that doesn't ensure it is working.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s easy enough to see on a Golf R from under the bonnet and from under the car, but as you say if you don’t know what you’re looking for.
If it’s got an aftermarket cat back exhaust you’ll need to make sure it’s the same bore size (prob be 2.5 or 3”) as the cat you’re going to buy.

Associate
OP
Thanks chaps. I think what I'll do is ring them up within the next few days, explain what they told me (I may need a cat for my next MOT), and ask them if I bring my car to them will they double check there's no cat on it and if there isn't to advise me on the size etc of cat I should go looking for (I'll look for a sports cat). They may charge me or maybe they won't but I don't mind anyway they are a good garage and good people. And get a price for fitting.

Associate
to satisfy the goody 2 shoes on the forum, you can only technically legally have an EC approved cat on the car for road use. But in all honesty no one cares unless the car is going for type approval. As long as it passes the MOT no one is ever going to look at it. In fact even aftermarket standard cats offer 2 options for ex approved and non existent approved ones. The difference is with the metals they are made with internally.

From what I can find Milltek are the only people that offer a sports cat that's EC approved, problem is it's 2k. I think Wagner tuning might offer one also but it's not clear and might be a loss in translation.

Scorpion list a sports cat for your car that's not ec approved, and it's £600. The decat pipe is £320, this is probably why they went for the decat and not the sports cat.

Alternatively you could just get a 200 cell universal sports cat welded into your existing decat pipe (I've said 200 cell as that's what scorpion list, but a 300 cell cat would be lower the emissions more, but be more restrictive) this can be done at a sports exhaust shop, there is usually one close.by most places in the UK.

This would be the cheapest and most convenient option As long as it passes the MOT it will never be looked at by anyone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom