Question about moving to new host and domain

Soldato
Hi, just trying to get my head round this bit. I currently have a vbulletin forum on Host A, with Domain1.com. I have Host B with Domain2.com all set up ready to transfer over.

I want a seamless as possible transfer to minimise forum downtime. I want Domain1.com to continue to point to the forums, as it currently is. I'm not worried about Domain2.com, it came free with the host.

So how do I set that up on Host B? I will obviously need to point the nameservers to Host B, but does that domain go on as an Addon Domain?

I hope that makes sense lol.

Soldato
OP
Thank you for your reply that's very helpful.

I am keeping the original domain, DomainB is just the main domain on HostB, but I don't need to use that.

I guess if I close the forums on HostA, with a message to say they are still viewing the old server, and to keep trying until they end up on the new host.

Soldato
OP
That makes sense to me yes, excellent!

Yes that's the plan. Priority is pointing domainA to hostB for now, can transfer the domain itself at a later date.

And yes it is cPanel. If I redirect domainA to domainB, will that not show as domainB once redirected? As I don't really want to use domainB at all if that makes sense! I think the addon domain is the best option.

Edit: I can't change the TTL on my domain, but it's apparently set to 1 hour by default, so not too bad really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
All has gone very smoothly, only minor issue currently is www.domainA.com and domainA.com means that cookies aren't being used on both with vbulletin.

I have just changed a DNS record for www. from a CNAME to A and the IP address, how it was set up with the previous host, so I am hoping that will sort it.

Edit: Fixed that with .htacess

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom