Question about my Tagan PSU -first build

Associate
Well so far i've installed the PSU (fan side facing down-into the case?), dvd-rw, HDD and the mobo screw mounts.
Now my Tagan (TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU (CA-009-TG) has this switch on the back which says 'split' or 'combine', im guesing this is for the 20 pin and the 4 pin to combine to the 24 pin needed for my ATX 2.0 mobo (MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra). But the description is confusing as it says 'Users can either combine or split the two rails, conforming to ATX1.3 and 2.01 standards respectively. Which seems to go against what i just said. But then the manual says something about when split, each rail is limited to 20A, but when the rails are over 20A i can switch it to combine mode. Am i right in thinking i should just put it on combine? Confused
Also theres this ground cable with this copper hoop on the end, where do i stick that, somewhere on the mobo? if so how does it stay on it?
Cheers

Associate
I have this PSU and have simply installed it as it came, i.e., I haven't tinkered with the combined mode setting. I've connected the earth connector to a convenient motherboard retaining screw to the M/B tray. The PSU works fine. I did some reading about this mode switching stuff on the PSU and decided I didn't need it. I don't think the combined mode has any real benefits to most users.

Associate
OP
Ok so just leave the switch. with the earth cable, am i right in thinking you place that over one of the mount holes on the mobo, then screw through hoop, mobo, and into mount? Sorry to be pedantic, just didnt quite get your description there.

Soldato
I have tagan 580, combine is good if you use a lot of harddrives, optical drives and/or a powerful amount of GPU power in there (Coughs*Quad SLI, SLI, Crossfire* coughs)

i use the split feature as it provides a steady amount of 12V amp current so that you run a more stable build, if not, combine is good for a strong 12V rail (something like 38a i think)

also, the Earthing cable is designed to be screwed somewhere to the case on bare case without paint or in a screwhole for instance. this is to help ground the unit and prevent nasty shocks of sorts ;)

hope this helps?

Associate
OP
Cheers, thats exactly what i did infact. Phew what a mammoth build, so much for couple hours id thought id take:D, been at it since 2 this afternoon, installing windows now, all looks good so far.
Comments: X1900XT was surprisingly difficult to mount in the mobo and case bracket at same time, MIC and AUDIO front panel connectors to mobo required a lot of concentration, steady hands and time to get right, got cut badly on the bloody case lol, dunno how, didnt even notice it til i saw the blood. But apart from that it was relatively straightforward id say.

Back
Top Bottom