Question about the higher DPI mice

Soldato
Hey guys,

I'm running an MX310 right now, 800 dpi.

I keep hearing of people buying 2000 dpi mice and saying they are too 'sensitive', but what is meant by this? Does it mean the cursor / reticule in the game moves too quickly?

If that is the case, can you turn down the speed in Control Panel and / or adjust the in-game sensitivity?

I don't want to get a higher dpi mouse only to find that it just moves faster, which defeats the whole point of it being more sensitive.

Soldato
I just brought a 1600dpi MX518, and at first with default settings, a slightest flick I would do a 360, excellent for searching the area in CS. I have been fidgetting with the settings and it is now at settings I like, with the sensitivity quite low, the full 1600dpi and pointer pointer speed quite low, and pointer acceleration on low, so now I can move slowly when I'm aiming for the head, and slick the mouse so I spin round in a 360 to see if there is anyone there.

I don't know how much better a 200dpi mouse is, but this mouse is now near perfect. It was the best £30 I have spent to improve my PC since I built it. (£40 including a DKT pad.)

Associate
The main point when upgrading a mouse to a high resolution is that with settings at the same sensitivity the mouse will move further. You can combat this in 2 ways..

1 - Get used to it.
2 - Turn sensitivity down.

In the long run it is much better to have a higher dpi, because it give you a greater accuracy. You just play with the settings to get it suited to your style of playing.

You can adjust settings in windows and in game.

Soldato
I'm using full settings and full dpi/sens on a copperhead and its perfect for me :) Have to drop on the fly sense to a tad over 3/4 to play css comfy (cs sense of about 7ish) *yes call me crazy if you want*

Quite ironic that I got the mouse and gave up on css, I find the higher dpi is very good for general windows use and photoshop work (being able to drop the dpi/sense right down as low as it goes is also amazingly handy in ps)

Only bad thing is it is a great task to use the mice at college now, being used to s small flick to position the mouse other side of the screen takes a big swoop and just ****** me off.

I much preffer having a higher dpi mouse though, could never go back.

Soldato
I've got an mx510 (after using the excellent mx300) and the high dpi is good. But I always crank my sens + accell well high - so high that a lot of people can't even control the mouse when they use the computer.

I can move about my 1600x1200 desktop every pixel by moving the mouse no more than an inch in any direction.

Soldato
I got a razer copperhead. Having going from a 200 dpi mouse, to 2000dpi was way too sensitive for me. So I got used to it. In css i have my mouse settings set to 3.0 (in css controls) and 2000dpi in mouse. This enables me to do a full 360 if i want or be precise. Its perfect!

Back
Top Bottom