Question for Mac Users

Soldato
Sorry for the vague title :)

I have a conundrum. I write for a living and I spend 8 or so hours per day typing on my PC. I'm doing pretty well and so bought a massively overspecced computer for my requirements - 9900k, 2080ti blah blah, just because I got excited about tech and spent too much.

Unfortunately, there's one software program that would be useful to me - Vellum - and it's only available on Macs.

Since I only word process and link to OneDrive for backups, I'm wondering if I should sell my PC and switch to using a Mac. I already have a widescreen 120hz alienware monitor and a Philips 4k 40" monitor which I'd ideally like to keep using. I also have an ace usb mechanical keyboard that is going nowhere.

Will a Mac mini connect straight to the keyboard and monitor, so that I just need to get used to MacOS? I was looking at imacs, but I really like the Philips monitor and 27" isn't big enough, 5k or not.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me what I need from the apple world and if it'll run Word (my preferred word processor) and so on, so that I could make the swap. I'm looking to make a profit from the sale of the PC (ideally, not essential) and have the same super smoothness from having a high spec PC while just doing my basic stuff.

Bonus point for anyone who can tell me about liabilities for selling the PC. I could gift it to my wife I suppose, but don't know how old it has to be before I can do so.

Soldato
OP
Word will run on literally anything. A Mac mini sounds like s good idea if you don't want portability.

I just checked a base spec mac mini and it's 800 quid. The hardware will run basic stuff for years won't it? Will I even need 16gb ram? The base storage will be fine.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice- I'm not sure I've seen the 9900k get past about 15pc utilisation. Still, I felt good knowing I had all that spare capacity, raring to go.

Back
Top Bottom