Quick Question Re Topping Up State Pension

Soldato
My wife has not worked enough years to pay sufficient NI qualify for the full State Pension, so decided to take advantage of the current offer to pay a lump sum equivalent to six years missed pension portion to guarantee she gets the full benefit. After all sorts of faffing about to set up the YouGov account to process the transaction, duly paid the amount by bank transfer which is confirmed as having gone through on my bank statement. However on checking just now the projected sum has not changed still shown as £187 and not the full £221 (based on the current rate).

Has anyone else done this and if so how long did it take the You Gov Pension estimate to update?

As an aside, she does have a slight concern about what might happen to the money if this or some future Government did decide to introduce means testing for SP. I do have a fairly substantial occupational pension (only in my name) but if I peg out she would still get roughly half of that at which point, if means testing became a thing, her SP would be weighed against that. The fact that you can make additional payments to top up the pension element of NI does kind of indicate no Government would contemplate doing that - you can hardly elicit lump sums from people to effectively pay up a savings plan then turn round and say it's a benefit not an entitlement. But then particularly with this lot in at the moment, who knows how they are thinking...

i looked at paying a couple of years where there was a gap but the cut off had passed
i'd assume they are just being slow at updating it.
do the gaps on your national insurance record now say 'full year'?

Back
Top Bottom