Quiet 12~14TB HDD?

Soldato
Hello!
I'm looking for a 12~14TB HDD. The main think about it must be that it is quiet. Performance is not really important. My "go-to" for this would be a WD RED PLUS but seem to be thin on the ground at the moment. I need to order one this week.
I appreciated that it's a NAS drive not a PC drive, but I am not worried about that.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
What do you consider quiet?
Is it about some specific noises HDDs make that you don't like?
How is rest of the Pc cooled (based on what you wrote I assume you are planning to use NAS drive in a PC?)?

Soldato
OP
What do you consider quiet?
Is it about some specific noises HDDs make that you don't like?
How is rest of the Pc cooled (based on what you wrote I assume you are planning to use NAS drive in a PC?)?

Yes, in a PC, and it's in my lounge. A WD RED PLUS is fine, noise-wise, but I am uncertain about anything else.

I may have to hunt around for one that is in stock somewhere. :/

Last edited:
Associate
So WD actually specify acoustics, but they don't state at what distance, so could assume at 1m
12TB and 14TB seem to be same noise wise, anything below 12TB, especially 10TB is worse.
What drive do you have now that you considered quiet? Based on its spec check against other drives that you could purchase and you're there.

Soldato
OP
So WD actually specify acoustics, but they don't state at what distance, so could assume at 1m
12TB and 14TB seem to be same noise wise, anything below 12TB, especially 10TB is worse.
What drive do you have now that you considered quiet? Based on its spec check against other drives that you could purchase and you're there.

The ones I have used before are the 6TB and 8TB. They are effectively silent at the distances I am talking about.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I found one! 12TB WD Red Plus. It's in and data is loading. It's a mesh frame (albeit on anti-vibration supports) and I am sat 5 meters from it and I can't hear it at all. Woo! Success!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I assume you will be mounting it with rubber grommets to dampen vibration? If so to best nowadays you will hardly notice it although the same couldn't be said 10 years ago.

I have some old rubber mounts that I got years ago. Can't get them any more. they are almost an inch long and completely isolate the drive. Excellent little things.

I'm really happy with the outcome. I really can't hear the drive at all, and given the enclosure I was really worried about it.

The WD Red Plus may be a bit slack on performance, but they are ideal for what I needed.

I suppose the next one I get, in a few years time, will be an SSD.

Associate
For quiet NAS drives I'd avoid Toshiba, had two 10TB N300 drives and while very reliable and never had issues they were extremely noisy, sounded like HDDs seeking noises from the 90s even when stuck in a wardrobe and I tried to hide the noise with some noise insulation foam and the door shut they were loud.

My current Seagate ST18000NM000J drives have been significantly quieter.

Last edited:
Soldato
You have an EXOS drive and you think that's quiet? Ain't no way.

My 16gb EXOS drive is the loudest most obnoxious drive in my NAS but for the price it's well worth putting up with.

Associate
Should have heard the Toshiba drives, just playing back video they were very loud :D

Coming up to about two years on Seagates and they've been great so far, used for Plex 99% of the time so they don't get heavily used.

Soldato
OP
I can remember I bought one of the first 10,000 rpm drives that came out. I think it was an IBM. Damn thing screamed like Concorde. Got hot too. I had to construct a special enclosure to shut it up.

Last edited:
Associate
I've found the quietest to be the 'white label' WD's.

So the basic external Western Digital MyBook drives.

Easy to pop open without damaging the enclosure if you want to put it in something.

Soldato
I've found the quietest to be the 'white label' WD's.

So the basic external Western Digital MyBook drives.

Easy to pop open without damaging the enclosure if you want to put it in something.
I have a pair of 18TB shucked from WD Elements enclosures and they're not quiet as they clunk and grumble continuously. Fortunately, they're normally only switched on in the early morning and their noise is drowned out by my wife's snoring. :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
I have a pair of 18TB shucked from WD Elements enclosures and they're not quiet as they clunk and grumble continuously. Fortunately, they're normally only switched on in the early morning and their noise is drowned out by my wife's snoring. :cry:

Ah that's annoying. There's a thing about larger drives clicking every so many seconds, which is apparently normal. I can't remember what it's called, but I'll see if I can find it

Back
Top Bottom