Quiet cpu cooler for Ryzen 7 2700

Associate
I have just buit a mini ITX system using the Kolink Satellite Plus case - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kolink-satellite-plus-aluminium-micro-atx-case-black-ca-02f-kk.html

The stock AMD cooler is anoying as it ossilates and hums which, looking at reviews, is what others think.

Therefore afrer a replacement that quiet when the system is ticking over.

Max height, according to the blurb is 165mm

My initial though was somit like this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-l9x65-low-profile-performance-cpu-cooler-hs-032-nc.html

I've head the advantage of blow down is cooling to the RAM

I want it to be furture proff because I know, at some point, I will play with overclcoking

Soldato
Blow down coolers are not near as good as tower coolers. Biggest problem with any case is having good smooth intake to exhaust vents. Blow down coolers flow air down to motherboard where it turns out hitting RAM, GPU, etc turning up along side of cooler and fan and is drawn back into cooler fan. GPU coolers are terrible too, because the draw air in their fans and dump heated exhaust in all directions too, but while we can't do a lot about them we can use tower coolers on our CPUs and have cool intake air into them with heated exhaust going on back and out back exhaust.

Modern RAM (DDR3 & DDR4) do not have heating problems. Modern RAM simples does not run hot enough to need any heat spreaders at all. These bling heat spreaders are nothing but show often hurting case airflow and cooling more than helping.

Soldato
I can't find much info about your case other than it has a 120mm rear exhaust fan and 165mm CPU clearance. It looks like GPU may be able to draw air in through the side of case.

There are some nice coolers that use 120m fans and will fit.

Are there any other places for fans in your case?
What are the specs on the fan it comes with?

Also need to know what the center CPU to near side of PCie sockets and to near side of RAM sockets is to be sure cooler will clear them. Would help to know how much you are thinking of spending. Then once we know what venting case has, where it fans can be mounted and what fans it has I can make suggestions on how to get good case airflow and what coolers to choose from.

For example, if it will fit motherboard, the Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure is a nice cooler and only £33.95
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-matterhorn-pure-edition-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-037-al.html
Cryorig H7 is also very good and only £34.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryorig-h7-single-tower-heatsink-with-120mm-fan-hs-008-cy.html
Even old Hyper 212 is not bad although I don't like it. It's only £21.95
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-led-air-cpu-cooler-hs-07a-cm.html

Biggest problem I see is keeping the heated GPU exhaust airflow from mixing with cool air CPU cooler needs to keep CPU cool .. because every degree warmer the air is going into cooler translates almost exactly into a degree hotter the CPU will be at same load and fan speed.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply

Yes, there is not a lot of info on the web. Kolink does not seem to have a website and I think Overcolcocker are their main supplier.

It has a 120mm rear exhauting fan and thats it (sorry no spec). However this vid does give you a better idea. Mine is the alloy base but the frame is the same. [edited]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQI-FH8LrU This is very simialr to how mine is setup.

The mobo is Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX

The Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure does not say its compatible with AM4.

I have seen the H7 mention a few times and people seem to like it

Budget is about £50

Edit: Distance from CPU ctr to PCI is 70mm and to RAM is 45mm

My internet is very flakey at the mo but will try to upload some photos

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the reply

Yes, there is not a lot of info on the web. Kolink does not seem to have a website and I think Overcolcocker are their main supplier.

It has a 120mm rear exhauting fan and thats it (sorry no spec). However this vid does give you a better idea. Mine is the alloy base but the frame is the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6lcwtKHo0Y. This is very simialr to how mine is setup.

The mobo is Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX

The Alpenfohn Matterhorn Pure does not say its compatible with AM4.

I have seen the H7 mention a few times and people seem to like it

My internet is very flakey at the mo but will try to upload some photos
Quick check shows OcUK has AM4 mount for Matterhorn for £2.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpe...mp-atlas-and-matterhorn-series-hs-059-al.html

Asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX has 88mm center CPU to near side of PCIe socket and 53 center to near side of RAM socket .. so with 165mm CPU clearance we have room for a large selection of coolers..

Fan in video looks like Akasa Slimfan rated 54.55cfm & 1.36mm H2O at 1600rpm with PWM control. If it does perform to specs it's not bad, but in my experience thin fans do not have that kind of performance. Those specs sound more like a 25-27mm thick fan than a 15mm one.

I'm much more worried about your case having enough case airflow than I am about what cooler to use. Case simply is not setup to have good airflow .. partly because it is so small (no place to put vents & fans), but also because of poor airflow design. A 120mm fanned cooler needs at least a 120mm fan's worth of intake airflow .. really it needs a little more. Add the 2x/3x 80mm/90mm fans on GPU using another 1-2x120mm of airflow and you can see how limited the case's airflow is with out 1x 120mm fan. We really need 3x 120mm of airflow .. meaning 3x intake or 3x exhausts with at least 3x 120mm vents not being used. Having both intake and exhaust fans does not significantly improve case airflow. It's the same principle as having fans on both intake and exhaust side of a cooler or radiator. ;)

Associate
OP
Hmm interesting or maybe a can or worms :)

Out of interest where did you get the info on the Asrock Mobo?

The case has vents on all 4 sides if that helps?

Also the GPU does not get hammered as its not a gaming rig (I probably should have said that in my first post), its for photo and video editing, again if thats relevant.

However ignoring that from what your saying I maybe just better to stick with stock cooler and not overclcock

Soldato
Hmm interesting or maybe a can or worms :)

Out of interest where did you get the info on the Asrock Mobo?

The case has vents on all 4 sides if that helps?

Also the GPU does not get hammered as its not a gaming rig, its for photo and video editing, again if thats relevant.

However ignoring that from what your saying I maybe just better to stick with stock cooler and not overclcock
I scale a vertical image of motherboard and calculate the measurements. I've been doing this for so many years I can't give a number and knock on wood have never given measurements that stopped a cooler from fitting .. although there are a couple of very small coolers that just barely cleared tall motherboard components behind and/or above CPU socket.

Vents on all sides only help if we can setup airflow from one side to the other in a way that supplies cool air to components that need it .. mainly CPU and GPU coolers. GPU coolers are like downflow / pancake coolers .. dumping heated air everywhere so it's even harder to get cool airflow to CPU cooler. Obviously we don't want to exhaust GPU's heated exhaust on the opposite side of case from where it is drawing air through vent on right side because that means it's heated exhaust is flowing around CPU cooler .. so where do we exhaust GPU heated air? There is no top venting, no front venting I can see, and the only back venting is the 120mm fan. I"ve spend so many years dealing with these problems I can see them by just glancing at a case. ;)

I think a small tower cooler will help. Maybe mount it so it's fan is using rear vent as intake to get cooler air to it.

Associate
OP
Thank for for taking time with this, much appreciated.

When you say venting are you talking fans? There are vent holds in front of the case behid the front cover drawing air for a slot at the bottom of the cover.

Small tower cooler, you mean like the H7?

The rear fan is currently exhausting. If I reversed this would this help to supply fresh air to the tower cooler. BTW I liked to the wrong youtube vis but have now changed it. The guy did some tests near the end of the vid which were interesting

Last edited:
Soldato
Thank for for taking time with this, much appreciated.

When you say venting are you talking fans? There are vent holds in front of the case behid the front cover drawing air for a slot at the bottom of the cover.

Small tower cooler, you mean like the H7?

The rear fan is currently exhausting. If I reversed this would this help to supply fresh air to the tower cooler
No, venting does not need to have a fan in it to flow air .. but it does need a fan somewhere to create airflow to and through vents. Maybe the below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow will be of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Edit:
Air may be drawn in front that slot, but airflow to back fan will come in the path of least resistance, and that is either the vents in right side of case or from air being pulled in by GPU fans from vents on left side.

H7 is not much smaller than other coolers I suggested.

Reversing rear fan may help supply CPU cooler. I can't say for sure without actually trying it. Depends on how much heated air from GPU is going out the back or maybe circling around from left side vents to back of case. All kinds of ways for air to flow.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking about suggesting one of the Machos or maybe a TRUE Spirit 120. Considering case uses 120mm fan I think it would be better to use same for CPU cooler to back clearance to be sure cooler will fit on ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX .. might need to use something like TRUE Spirit 120 (similar to Alphenfohn Matterhorn). Need to be sure there is enough room back of CPU for rear cooler and/or case fan. I'm not at my computer for rest of today so can't compare measurement until tomorrow.

Associate
OP
No, venting does not need to have a fan in it to flow air .. but it does need a fan somewhere to create airflow to and through vents. Maybe the below link to how airflow works and how to optimize case airflow will be of interest.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

H7 is not much smaller than other coolers I suggested.
Interesting read.

You did mention the H7 in a previous post ;)

A cooloer I have looked at was the Noctua - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-cpu-cooler-hs-03b-nc.html

Associate
OP
All the coolers being mentions look prety much the same.

Just rememebr, for me, the PC is very close to me so at idle or low ussage needs to be very quiet.

Another thought about cooling,. I am not adversed to adding a vent at the top of the case. I have a milling machine that will hand jobs like that :)

Also what if I got one of those tower coolers could I duct it to the back of the case where the cuttent fan is and relocate the rear fan?

Just thinking out aloud :)

Soldato
But which case?
Interesting read.

You did mention the H7 in a previous post ;)

A cooloer I have looked at was the Noctua - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12s-se-am4-cpu-cooler-hs-03b-nc.html
Yes I did, I also mentioned a few others too .. some a little better and some not. So what are you trying to say?

NH-U12S is a good cooler, but it is way more expensive for marginally better cooling .. and that's why I didn't mention it.

But until you figure out how to move needed cool air to component coolers and remove their heated air it won't matter which cooler you choose. You will still have cooler fan noise because their fan/s will have to run at higher rpm trying to keep component from running hot, similar to what you are dealing with now with stock cooler. I'm sorry, but your choice of cases is not good, and as a result it is going to be very hard to get the airflow through it you need to have a cool and quiet system. Is it possible to return the case for something that will flow air better?

Associate
OP
I thought you has forgotten you mentioned the H7 that all :)

Prob not be able to return the cae now but could sell on ebay.

Out of interest any reccomendation re case. Bear in mind I was looking for a smallish case as it sits on the desk

Back
Top Bottom