Quiet gaming laptop < £1400

Soldato
Hey,

Can anyone recommend a gaming laptop (preferably with an RTX 2060 GPU) that it reasonably quiet when gaming.

I’m coming from an Asus G751JY which is reasonably quiet although rather bulky. Most laptops nowadays seem to be slim and loud. Gsync models also appear to be near nonexistent.

The Lenovo y740 seems to get mentioned a lot for being a quiet machine although this is £2000.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Can anyone comment on Graphics Amplifiers?
Would it be worth getting a cheaper laptop with a lesser GPU paired with a graphics amplifier?

If so, can anyone suggest a laptop and graphics amplifier combo?

Ive read some are better than others with Alienware and Razer getting a mention. Do other brands of graphics amplifier or TB3 enabled laptops have limitations when it comes to graphics amplifiers?

Thanks.

Soldato
Graphics amps work best if you have an external monitor. If using with just the laptop screen the bandwidth can suffer thus giving lower frame rates.

Soldato
Thanks @Vita
I didn’t know that. I guess that’s the Graphics amps option excluded then.

It does give a boost but not as much as having it go to an external monitor. I have had many gaming laptops in the last year, from Asus to Alienware. Even the Evga.

I’ve avoided the Razer ones as they’ve never really interested me.

In all honesty there isn’t really a quiet gaming laptop as fans do ramp up but overly not that loud. I’d say the ASUS TUF series is very good value for money.

The Asus zephyrus is decent but if you can get hold of a Alienware m15 for your budget that’s where my money would go.

Soldato
Asus TUF FX505DV & MSI GL73 might be worth looking at. I cannot comment on how quiet they would be, but you have to appreciate that laptops don't have the same capacity to shift air as desktops do, so they will generally be noisy. Asus are well equipped and can be had for a good price if you look around.

Associate
Check out the YouTube channel own or disown. He reviews loads of laptops and that’s one of the reasons I went for the acer Helios 300.
he also compares loads of laptops

Soldato
Can anyone comment on Graphics Amplifiers?
Would it be worth getting a cheaper laptop with a lesser GPU paired with a graphics amplifier?

If so, can anyone suggest a laptop and graphics amplifier combo?

Ive read some are better than others with Alienware and Razer getting a mention. Do other brands of graphics amplifier or TB3 enabled laptops have limitations when it comes to graphics amplifiers?

Thanks.

From what I've seen the Alienware graphics amplifier is seemingly the best as it uses a proprietary connector that is designed specifically for GPU which allows it to use 4x PCIe Gen 3 lanes whereas all the other egpu enclosures use thunderbolt 3 and has to share the bandwidth with all the other things thunderbolt 3 was designed for. In some scenarios there isn't much between them but in others there is.

Back
Top Bottom