Quitting smoking tonight

Soldato
Well done OP, I wish you all the best :)

My brother tried to quit many times, even after his emphysema diagnosis. Sadly he lost his life in 2020 after many years struggling with COPD, oxygen supplemented and CPAP machine most of the day were two of the many intrusive aspects of his advancing COPD.
It was terrible watching how he suffered and deteriorated.
Sorry for painting that picture but that, for many, is the reality of dealing with long terms smoking.

Again the very best wishes to you, keep positive and one day at a time :)

Capodecina
Soldato
Not yet :D

This morning has felt kinda strange. So many triggers already :(

The important thing is to write down your triggers, what your thoughts are at the time and also write how you will deal with them when they happen.

Also note down the times when it's hardest to resist a cigarette. These are undoubtedly social occasions. But once you have got through one or two you know you can do it any time.

Soldato
One day at a time OP
Tho I would suggest avoiding nico gum / vapes etc as I have know a few people who quit, but 10 years later still sucking on that plastic pipe or chewing the gum .........

Soldato
Not yet :D

This morning has felt kinda strange. So many triggers already :(
Focus on the triggers to keep going my man. In a few days you'll start coughing a bit more as your body rejects all the crap that has built up in your lungs. Each day things will start to taste better as your tongue recovers. Take deep breaths each day and notice how much more you can suck in, and how much longer you can hold. And get all your stanky ass gross smelling cig covered clothes in the wash. This was trigger enough for me to keep going - was so nice not stinking.

Soldato
Good luck! I quit cold turkey back in 2008, and prior to that smoked such an absurd amount. It was 100% worth it and you'll someday wonder what you were thinking smoking all those years

Can also only echo the advice about replacing it with something else (and something unrelated to smoking) - when I was quitting my girlfriend (now wife) knew that I'd mentioned I used to enjoy the diablo when I was a kid, so she surprised me with one she had bought for me. Every time I strongly felt the urge to light up I'd just play with that for a bit instead - it helped a lot in the first few weeks

Soldato
OP
Going ok, thanks for asking. The cravings are harder to deal with than I remember though. Just got to remind myself that the cravings won't be forever, then it's easy enough to not give in.

Capodecina
Soldato
Going ok, thanks for asking. The cravings are harder to deal with than I remember though. Just got to remind myself that the cravings won't be forever, then it's easy enough to not give in.

Well done for lasting this long, you're putting paid to the naysayers in this thread who said, "you're going to fail". Sometimes there's no greater motivator than people saying that to you.

And yes, there will come a time when you will forget you ever smoked. It was just habit. Soon, NOT smoking will be the new habit.

Just think about all that money you gave to those tobacco companies profiting off making you die early. It's insanely evil when you think about it.

Soldato

Good luck and keep going!

I went cold turkey when I was 30 (now 65), on a New Years Eve.

Used to smoke 20-30 bennies a day, awful habit.

I found the first two weeks the hardest, but fine after that.

Strangely, it helped seeing the grunge I found I was coughing up daily, as my lungs were getting rid of the crap that had built up over the years.

Looking back, I used to get bad cough colds routinely every year, due to smoking, have been free of those since.

Truly an awful, disgusting health hazard of an addiction, not to mention the cost.

Soldato
You know how I stopped true story.

Firstly I only smoke a few years in my late teens early 20's.

Anyway, I stayed up all night and drank an entire 700ml bottle of Havana Club white rum.

Next day I felt so terrible, I couldn't do much let alone have any desire to smoke.

The next day I woke up on obviously much better (damn I miss being young and having good alcohol recovery), anyway. Basically said to myself, well I went yesterday without smoking, so will do today, and basically just went from there.

I never took up smoking as such, but I used to smoke the magic tobacco a lot, and you'd mix regular tobacco, and got addicted to nicotine that way.

Soldato
Good luck !!!

In 2013 my other half asked me to stop smoking and I have agreed - later to tell me that she could wait couple of years LOL
We went for friends wedding and after that I went cold turkey.
wasn't heavy smoker but still.
craving was there..i missed the taste more than anything...
even few years later, after having a drink, i wanted to smoke.
One day i had a puff and thought I will vomit taste was so bad !!!
and to think I loved the taste...

my main struggle was breathing while sleeping...for couple of months, I had to sleep in almost upright position..

if I did it, anyone can :D
stay strong

Underboss
Nice one man, 7 years clear for me now. Used vaping to cut down, then went zero nicotine and then just quit.

Best thing I have ever done, find it repulsive now but I'm not an anti smoker.

Back
Top Bottom