1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quitting smoking tonight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by new boy, 31 Aug 2021.

1. doodah

Caporegime

Aiming to stop along with my wife in around a month's time, it will be hard but it needs to be done.

2. bastic

Mobster

for some fidget spinners help to occupy hands ;)

3. new boy

Mobster

On day 3 now. Honestly, its harder than I thought / remembered it to be... Everything has been a bit of a nightmare at work and home too which doesn't help lol.

Glad to be a few days in now, as its really easy to justify getting back on the fags and trying again later during the first day or 2, but now I've committed this much effort it seems like a waste and I would feel guilty about failing now. I'm having less moments when I think I'll go for a fag, then remember I've stopped which is good as thats really annoying lol.

4. dLockers

Sgarrista

Top banana, good stuff my man. Take those deep breathes and enjoy tasting things again!

5. Worthy

Don

Remember to have something to do when you get cravings too. Go for a walk around the block, hoover a couple of rooms, just something to get your mind off it. You've cracked it now, the first two days are out of the way, it's easy street from here on in.

6. im4gine3

Hitman

I forgot to mention, one way i found to stop smoking.. though i don't expect anyone else to do it.. but it worked for me.

I had my teeth whitened before i went cold turkey... knowing that smoking discolours your teeth etc, my teeth were extremely yellow, so i booked an appointment to bleach my teeth (not Ross colour thankfully), and having the cost of that in my head as well as not wanting to ruin my teeth again gave me a real motivation and excuse to give up... obviously that costs money and i'm not saying you should do something similar but having a real goal in mind can just maybe give you the boost to let go.

I also think the first 2 days is a bit hit and miss... my cravings only slowed after a couple weeks.. perhaps more.. but everyone is different

7. Lysander

Capodecina

Hope it's still going OK for you, OP.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2021
  8. new boy

Mobster

Yeah going well today thanks.

First 3 days were hell to be honest. So far, today as been a good day!

I've notice my sense of smell improving now. Its nice to have a tangible benefit to enjoy right now.

9. CashmereThoughts

Associate

Good job. Smoking is horrific.
    Quit 2 years 8 months and 5 days ago and never looked back.

off topic, came into the general to as what MM abbreviation means? I didn’t know where to put it so I may as well put it here. Read it in gpu deal thread.

Much appreciated.

10. Josh

Capodecina

Members Market, our buy and sell sub forum.

You do not meet the 1000 posts requirement for access to it.

11. CashmereThoughts

Associate

Thanks mate, appreciate it. I think at this rate we’ll be on RTX90XX before I hit 1000 posts here.

12. im4gine3

Hitman

i noticed as soon as i stopped smoking i ate a lot more than i used to.. though not sure if this was down to smoking or to metabolism but i started gaining weight fast (i was about 9 stone for 4years straight) and a year after i stopped i jumped to 11st which ain't much but i was super happy because i thought there was something wrong with me.

13. TurtleTwo

Hitman

I find it very easy to not smoke, I do vape now and again.. but if I'm out drinking in the pub etc, I can't help but buy cigarettes :(

14. arknor

Caporegime

anyone who wants to quit smoking read up on COPD
    Realise your lungs one day will be totally destroyed and you have "long covid" :p

15. im4gine3

Hitman

I hear you on this.. it just ain't the same with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.. unfortunately for me.. rather than being additicted to smoking.. i think i have a vaping addiction :(

16. Lysander

Capodecina

What exactly is the "etc" here, any social situation? Any situation where alcohol is involved?

The issue is that you have not identified the trigger situation(s) where you are most likely to fail. You need to do that and target them. Same advice to @new boy.

17. dave28

Wise Guy

you have not quit properly though so that says alot to me anyway

18. Digital X

Sgarrista

I suppose one way to look at it is the cost. I buy my stepdad fags as he can't easily leave the house, they're about £9.50 a pack. Just think what you can buy after not getting a few packs. It's gonna add up quick.

19. TurtleTwo

Hitman

By etc I mean when I drink alcohol. That's my trigger.

20. Worthy

Don